What tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tire?

My tires are seriously cooked so I'll need to replace at least the fronts for this coming season. What should I get?

My last set were RE-71's and they were good but seems to drop off pretty significantly once the new wore off. I did run them over the course of 3 years or so (3 1/2 I think) so this may have impacted them. Does the Yok last better through its tread life? Price-wise, the RE-71 is quite a bit cheaper in my size, which is nice because I'm surely not serious anymore. However, if the Yokohama lasts longer, it may be worth it.

Also, even though I'm not serious, I like to do well when I do show up. Is the Yokohama quite a bit quicker at Dakota?

Car: Accord coupe (the Miata is long gone).
    "Go this way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." (Better Off Dead)

Are there other tires I should be considering?
    "Go this way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." (Better Off Dead)

Comment

How much camber do you get on the Accord? What wheel and tire sizes?
      Jeff Rye #64
      1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
      2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
      Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Originally posted by ryejeff View Post
        How much camber do you get on the Accord? What wheel and tire sizes?
        The wheel size 17 by 8. No camber to speak of. Tire sizes: last set was 245/40. I was thinking of trying the 235/45 Yok or 245/45 Bridgestone to help the gearing a bit.
        Weight: 33XX.

Comment

lotta new street tires coming available too.
          2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

Comment

RE71s are discontinued, so anything available in those is 2020 stock.

Yokohama A052 are supposed to be faster, but less precise feeling, wear faster, and fall off quicker than the RE71.

The new Falken RT660 is supposed to be fast also, but lots of early reports of tread separation when overheated... not sure if they've fixed that problem or not.

For cheap/not serious, but very good for the price, I like the Federal 595 RS-PRO.
            They're not pointy-end, but they're close enough to it for me, and they're half the price of the faster tires.

Comment

The Yokohama Advan A052 seam to be "the tire" if you want to be at the pointy end. But in your case I don't know if you would get the return on money spent (the tire drying out and becoming hard before wearing out).

People have been saying good things about the new SSC spec tire Falken Azenis RT660, and I think initially they were cheaper than the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R But that might not be the case now.

There is also the older BFGoodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ce+Rival+S+1.5

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Potenza+RE-71R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...60XL&tab=Specs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLV2&tab=Specs

Comment

Originally posted by gerglumuff View Post
                lotta new street tires coming available too.
                And RE71R's discontinued?!?

Please do tell what is happening in 2021 for autocross tires!

Comment

Adam, I'd hold off for another month or 2 before buying in, there are a number of tires coming, or rumored to be coming.

As far as what's available now, the Yok is faster than the RE71, but doesn't play well with camber challenged cars, so in your case it may be a fun option, but not a long term relationship.

If the RE71 is still available for what you need, you already know what they are like. the RT660 isn't as fast as the Yok in the tests I've read, but are close tot he RE71, and are a "fun tire to drive".
                  John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                  Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
                  Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                  Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
                  "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
                  "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                  To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Originally posted by the tick View Post
                    Adam, I'd hold off for another month or 2 before buying in, there are a number of tires coming, or rumored to be coming.

As far as what's available now, the Yok is faster than the RE71, but doesn't play well with camber challenged cars, so in your case it may be a fun option, but not a long term relationship.

If the RE71 is still available for what you need, you already know what they are like. the RT660 isn't as fast as the Yok in the tests I've read, but are close tot he RE71, and are a "fun tire to drive".
                    The yok really wants camber. They also want a wide enough wheel. Pinched on ES wheels with ES camber? Not noticeably faster than RE71Rs. On STS cars with camber and wide wheels? Definitely faster.

I've only seen the RT660s on SSC cars, so I don't have direct evidence for how they compare. But they are a huge improvement over the old SSC tire.
                    Jeff Rye #64
                    1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
                    2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
                    Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

660 vs RE71r (same to 0.3 difference on AX course).

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...oss-and-track/

Dunlop vs BFG vs Bridgestone from a couple years ago. (BFG>Bridgestone>Dunlop)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...tone-re-71r-v/
                      John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                      Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
                      Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                      Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
                      "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
                      "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                      To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

I agree with John on the yoko's and the camber issue. My fronts at almost 3.0 camber still needed more. The rears are not as adjustable camber wise. But the rear is fatter and they seem to wear about same as front at 1.5 degrees. (better weight distribution with the fatter tire?) But 3 years of service no way.

Comment

The new Nankang CR-1 is also expected to be in the mix. However, they haven't quite met the size requirements to be SCCA-legal yet. Although they say they will by the April deadline.

The new Kumho V730 could be another one to watch. Very little info so far.
                          Justin Tilus - 2004 Focus ZX3 2.3L (STF Build)
                          For tire quotes, please contact: [email protected]
                          Vision Speedworks is on Facebook - Click HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin (Vision Speedworks) View Post

The new Kumho V730 could be another one to watch. Very little info so far.
                            I saw pictures of that one and it looks interesting.
                            Ryan T #34 03 S2000 / 16 Focus ST / 19 Audi S3 / 99 Miata Sport / 18 JCW

"If you think it is going to understeer, just don't" -- Tim Davis
                            "I go whole A$$" -- Jeff Rye
                            # Trucklife #Kidsandcars #Philrelevant
                            Proud 2014 Spirit of the Sport Award Winner #77

Comment

Originally posted by s1lence View Post

I saw pictures of that one and it looks interesting.
                              And in es miata size I can get them for 346 shipped to my door step (pre tax). I'll be hunting for research now on these...hopefully these don't delaminate. I'll let others be the guinea pigs first
                              Last edited by EricJ; 02-04-2021, 08:47 AM.
                              Eric Janssen

#320 1999 Miata & 2013 Honda Civic Si

Comment

Working...
                              X