Alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment?

I noticed that my 2003 Mercury Marauder wants to hunt when crossing from one lane to another or when moving to a turn lane where there is a grove between the lanes. If I move from the right to left lane, it pulls me to the left as the left tire crosses the grove between the right and left lane. Then when the right tire crossed the grove, it pulls me back to the right. So I had Apple Valley Ford do a front end alignment thinking it was toed out too much. The alignment didn't make any improvement. They didn't say anything about ball joints or tie rod ends. In fact, I was surprises they didn't call me telling me these were bad. I have about 125k miles on it. The front tires are Nitto NT555 G2 255/45-18 that have good tread on them and I run them at about 32 PSI. Any thoughts on what might cause this hunting?

Is this a new development? If so; a) when do you notice it start, and b) did you anything at that time?

If nothing has changed (no alignment change, no tire change, no parts change, no pothole hits), I would look at ball joints, tie rod ends, maybe play in the steering rack/steering rack mounts & bolts.
    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
    Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
    Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
    "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Also look at the inner tie rods on the rack
      SSK Miata
      TSX STF

Comment

I can't remember when it started. I think it's just been a gradual change. I'll poke around underneath this weekend to see if I can see anything bad. You'd think Apple Valley Ford would have said something if the tie rod ends or ball joints were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by crouse View Post
          I can't remember when it started. I think it's just been a gradual change. I'll poke around underneath this weekend to see if I can see anything bad. You'd think Apple Valley Ford would have said something if the tie rod ends or ball joints were bad.
          They would certainly love to have your money, but don't assume the tech working on your car was digging in that deep....
          John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
          Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
          "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
          To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Who is Jeff The Alignment Guy here? I'd like to see about bringing my car to him to verify it has the proper alignment.

Comment

He schedules by email exclusively. [email protected]
              The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

He's in Hopkins, he's a great guy, and does great work!
                John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

Thank you, Curt.

Comment

Agreed. Jeff does great work.
                    Jeff Rye #64
                    1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
                    2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
                    Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Working...
                    X