Guidance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane86 View Post
    Something of the MR-S vintage may be a little more work than Hedi wants to undertake on a regular basis.
    And this would be less work than a Lotus? Its a Toyota, not a Fiat. Mid engined, lower entry fee than a "real" Lotus, leaves some $$$ to have someone else work on it if needed. ES is a pretty reasonable pax these days.

I do get Heidi's affection for a certain car and the idea that there is some Lotus knowledge and parts to share. If the cost of entry isn't a thing, this makes good sense.
    Last edited by 914 Dave; 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM.
    David Parsons
    1973 914. Kinda running.
    2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
    2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
    1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
    2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
    "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Sure I’ll chime in. I have never owned a lotus Elise but cherish every moment riding in Phil’s. Ben when he goes backwards. If you go to coparts.com you will find totaled elises that sell for 6K, they look terrible usually a front end collision. I suspect wirewheels in fla gobbles these up and does a repair and sell them for 25K with a branded title. With no blemish they seem to go for 30k on bring a trailer. Why not buy a wreck and revitalize it as a dedicated autocross car. If the frame is not damaged that may be the best entry point. Run without a clam call it a goblin. Full disclouse requires that I reveal I have terrible arthritis and my tools were stolen several years ago. I am thinking hypothetically. The other option is pay too much, enjoy it immensely and recover 110% of your cost in five years. Think about 2005. Lotus Elise and Ford GT are on sale. A vintage year. Best

Comment

Originally posted by beckster View Post
        Sure I’ll chime in. I have never owned a lotus Elise but cherish every moment riding in Phil’s. Ben when he goes backwards. If you go to coparts.com you will find totaled elises that sell for 6K, they look terrible usually a front end collision. I suspect wirewheels in fla gobbles these up and does a repair and sell them for 25K with a branded title. With no blemish they seem to go for 30k on bring a trailer. Why not buy a wreck and revitalize it as a dedicated autocross car. If the frame is not damaged that may be the best entry point. Run without a clam call it a goblin. Full disclouse requires that I reveal I have terrible arthritis and my tools were stolen several years ago. I am thinking hypothetically. The other option is pay too much, enjoy it immensely and recover 110% of your cost in five years. Think about 2005. Lotus Elise and Ford GT are on sale. A vintage year. Best
        Maybe I can pull this off with fabric and a sewing machine? Fixing cars is not my thing at all but it is a good point if that is your talent.
        Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

Comment

Originally posted by 914 Dave View Post

And this would be less work than a Lotus? Its a Toyota, not a Fiat. Mid engined, lower entry fee than a "real" Lotus, leaves some $$$ to have someone else work on it if needed. ES is a pretty reasonable pax these days.

I do get Heidi's affection for a certain car and the idea that there is some Lotus knowledge and parts to share. If the cost of entry isn't a thing, this makes good sense.
          If i recall correctly (welcome to be corrected) The Toyota MR-S had some oiling issues that caused them to fail rather catastrophically in Stock/Street trim due to oil starve and high-G useage.
          Lotus using very similar toyota engines resolved the issue with a better baffled oil pan than any of the toyota factory gear, and while you can make it so they don't pop, it's not a light procedure and not typically legal to swap to an aftermarket pan until higher classes.
          Shane D. #182
          Sponsored by Turn in Concepts and Morries Subaru
          "Looking over the hood of the WRX you see the massive hood scoop. It's not a distraction. It's more like the sight on an assault rifle and all I want to do is keep pulling the trigger." -Matt Hardigree, Jalopnik.com
          "But I don't like things that are scary and painful..." -Bender
          "Man... I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonn'a ask where they're going and catch up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Shane86 View Post
            If i recall correctly (welcome to be corrected) The Toyota MR-S had some oiling issues that caused them to fail rather catastrophically in Stock/Street trim due to oil starve and high-G useage.
            Lotus using very similar toyota engines resolved the issue with a better baffled oil pan than any of the toyota factory gear, and while you can make it so they don't pop, it's not a light procedure and not typically legal to swap to an aftermarket pan until higher classes.
            I have actually heard the Lotus also has this same issue when run on tracks early on as well. I have not dug into it since I am not shopping for one, so take that with a grain of salt. It was passed along to me from someone who apparently had owned one and popped a motor on track due to oil starvation.
            2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
            ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
            No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Worth some research to be sure. I recall hearing the same thing, and that keeping oil level full was key. Thought there was an update to the stock prep for this car that would allow the oil pick up to be lowered in the pan slightly or some such thing.
              Last edited by 914 Dave; 10-17-2019, 07:17 PM.
              David Parsons
              1973 914. Kinda running.
              2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
              2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
              1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
              2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
              "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

I will more than likely need a co-drive for 2020
                Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

Comment

the 1/2zz has a variety of oiling issues. the lotus ted to have less problems, they have significant better oil cooling than the mrs does. the early 1zzs have big time oiling issues, people blame the pre cats, but they arnt the issue. early 1zzs have oil ring issues. these problems can crop up overnight, or stay the same for a decade. the 2zz does not have these problems, but can overheat there oil pretty easily, starve themselves on hooisers etc
                  2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Working...
                  X