Guidance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance Please

I found a car that I really, really, really want but I don't know how to go about finding out the market value of the car. It is used and I don't want to pay more than what it is worth. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks in advance,
    Heidi
    Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

info about the car?
    Vision Speedworks
    SoloPro Driving School
    The Alignment Guy

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro"

Comment

There are the usual suspects- NADA, Edmonds, Kbb. Online search for similar cars- evilbay, car soup, autotrader, wire wheel, and a 100 others. Care to tell us more about the ride? Maybe someone has more specific knowledge to share.
      David Parsons
      1973 914. Kinda running.
      2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
      2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
      1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
      2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
      "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Out of boredom and Alan said I could buy one, I was looking for a Lotus and I found a 2005 BLUE Lotus locally. While looking I saw pricing all over the place with varied miles. I know how much we paid new granted they went up in price after we got ours (we have one of the first 50 shipped to the US). It amazes me that they have not dropped in price. I hate buying used but I have no choice unless I want to get a new one which are ridiculously priced and ugly. I am not a good internet person that is why I posted this. By the way, I am not sure Alan was serious when he said I could but a girl can dream, actually the Lotus is cheaper then my avatar by far.

Comment

Specialty cars (which includes Lotuses...Loti...) are tough to determine a market value for. There aren't enough of them that there is a big price history, and there are many of them that are "Garage Queens" in that they are 2nd (or 3rd) cars and aren't driven regularly so the mileage is artificially low, and the prices are inversely proportional.

If it's a clean, no accident example it will likely get whatever the owner is asking if he's willing to wait long enough since they are relatively rare.

Best bet would be to speak to a "Lotufile" who may have been "keeping their finger on the pulse" to give you a better take.
          John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
          Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
          Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
          Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
          "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
          "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
          To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

<$30K fair price, <$27.5K Good price, <$25K Great price - cheaper, be cautious

Vision Speedworks
            SoloPro Driving School
            The Alignment Guy

Comment

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
              Vision Speedworks
              SoloPro Driving School
              The Alignment Guy

Comment

If getting a loan (and not putting crazy big money down) always look at the blue book first, as this is the most you likely get from a bank regardless of what people are paying for the car. Otherwise, the sources and info above are solid.
                2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
                ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
                No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Don't forget that this is a 15 year old car - hoses, belts, tires, anything rubber in the engine bay should be replaced because of age/rot. Just because it may have low mileage, that does not stop time. You need to factor that into the price. FWIW, there is a 2016 MIata for $15.5K right now that would be a lot of fun and pretty darn close to the same kind of performance for probably HALF the price.
                  https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...983108129.html

Just sayin'
                  Vision Speedworks
                  SoloPro Driving School
                  The Alignment Guy

Comment

Originally posted by magicsammy View Post
                    Don't forget that this is a 15 year old car - hoses, belts, tires, anything rubber in the engine bay should be replaced because of age/rot. Just because it may have low mileage, that does not stop time. You need to factor that into the price. FWIW, there is a 2016 MIata for $15.5K right now that would be a lot of fun and pretty darn close to the same kind of performance for probably HALF the price.
                    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...983108129.html

Just sayin'
                    There may be lots of those popping up with the ND2 in CS and now in STR! And yeah, super fun little cars, very capable and competive, etc
                    2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
                    ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
                    No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

What they said about the new MX5s...
                      Anyone around in MN got one yet? perhaps you could beg/borrow/steal a codrive to get an on-course feel for one.
                      Shane D. #182
                      Sponsored by Turn in Concepts and Morries Subaru
                      "Looking over the hood of the WRX you see the massive hood scoop. It's not a distraction. It's more like the sight on an assault rifle and all I want to do is keep pulling the trigger." -Matt Hardigree, Jalopnik.com
                      "But I don't like things that are scary and painful..." -Bender
                      "Man... I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonn'a ask where they're going and catch up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Shane86 View Post
                        What they said about the new MX5s...
                        Anyone around in MN got one yet? perhaps you could beg/borrow/steal a codrive to get an on-course feel for one.
                        I believe Jay has one.
                        Brian K.
                        #16 Marshmallow Miata

Comment

Why hasn't Phil chimed in on this one? If Miata is a thought, what about Mr2 Spyder. Poor man's (or woman's) Elise?
                          David Parsons
                          1973 914. Kinda running.
                          2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
                          2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
                          1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
                          2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
                          "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Something of the MR-S vintage may be a little more work than Hedi wants to undertake on a regular basis.
                            Shane D. #182
                            Sponsored by Turn in Concepts and Morries Subaru
                            "Looking over the hood of the WRX you see the massive hood scoop. It's not a distraction. It's more like the sight on an assault rifle and all I want to do is keep pulling the trigger." -Matt Hardigree, Jalopnik.com
                            "But I don't like things that are scary and painful..." -Bender
                            "Man... I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonn'a ask where they're going and catch up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Shane86 View Post
                              Something of the MR-S vintage may be a little more work than Hedi wants to undertake on a regular basis.
                              Thank you. Alan is not mechanically inclined and I don't know anyone convenient to work on it. I really need a car that I can jump into and drive and not have to worry if it will start or run other than a dead battery.

I was mistaken with year of the Lotus, it is a 2006 with 15100 miles and one owner. I got brave and told Alan about it. I think we will be going to look at it this weekend weather permitting.

I know I should look at other options but we have all the "stuff" for a Lotus so it make sense to me to get another Lotus, I even suggested to Alan that he look for a red Lotus in good condition and give me the old one, I think that is why he is humoring me. There is something about his Lotus that he is not willing to give up and I cannot blame him. He bought it as a graduation gift to himself after graduating from College at the age of 38, considering his family has been anti-school/college his graduating was a big deal. Also he has one of the first 50 shipped to the US, waited 1.5 years for delivery. On that note, I graduated from college three times, sounds fair to me

Thank you all for your input, still not sure what is a good deal for this particular Lotus, it actually has less miles than our Lotus.

Comment

Working...
                              X