No announcement yet.

Project Hotter Hatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You build some really nice cars Steve, that thing should be a blast!
    Show respect, even to people who don't deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by MNbiker View Post
      Interesting note about the engine & transmission mounts. After installation, there was a SIGNIFICANT increase in NVH. Turns out, a lot of the additional noise was being generated by the stupid VW Soundaktor artificial engine noise generator
      Very interesting. So Soundaktor is not only making engine noises but also cancelling out as much NVH as possible? Cool! Any change in non mechanical ambient noise now that you've killed it? (wind/tire noise) I wonder if people are going to have similar issues down the road as the OEM mounts age.

I'm conflicted on Soundaktor. The mkVII R I rented for a week (Soundaktor on the firewall) sounded a bit like a 5cyl, which would probably bug me if it were my car, but I had fun pretending I was driving around a Golf with a detuned TTRS/RS3 engine for my brief time with it. =P
      Brandon A.
      2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

"...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

Originally posted by SlowAndo View Post
        Very interesting. So Soundaktor is not only making engine noises but also cancelling out as much NVH as possible?...
        No, Soundaktor was actually amplifying the additional NVH from the stiffer mounts - to an annoying level.
        With Soundaktor disabled, the car sounds the way it should.

Being half deaf, I actually didn't mind Soundaktor with the stock engine mounts, as it was easier to hear the engine with a helmet on. However, it's not required with added "natural" engine noises.
        "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." -Maya Angelou

Comment

UPDATE: I've settled on 265/35-18 front, 235/40-18 rear tires. I finally decided to go with the max allowable tire width in front, as the car will benefit. I may end up rolling the front fenders to avoid carving up the expensive RE-71Rs.

UPDATE2: After looking at the installation guide for the APR Intercooler, it moved even lower on my priority list. The instructions include 70 steps! Looks like a lot of work for 10 HP.
          Last edited by MNbiker; 04-03-2019, 08:41 AM.
          "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." -Maya Angelou

Comment

No, Soundaktor was actually amplifying the additional NVH from the stiffer mounts - to an annoying level.
            Sorry, what I meant was; In a stock GTI is the soundaktor actually attempting to cancel NVH or just adding engine noise because you can't hear the engine as designed?
            Brandon A.
            2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

"...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

Soundaktor is meant to add “sporty” engine noise when you rev the engine, since the stock engine is so quiet. Unfortunately, it also appears to amplify the extra NVH from non-stock engine mounts. I assume the same is true for a non-stock downpipe.

Comment

Gotcha. I was thinking it was also doing passive noise cancellation which would be pretty dang impressive at that price point.

Looks like a great build plan, enjoy!
                Brandon A.
                2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

Comment

Wheels & tires on the way from TR.
                  The car should be ready to go in time for M1/M2.

Can't wait to see how much difference the 265's, some negative camber, and the Wavetrac make!

The extra power will be amusing too...
                  Last edited by MNbiker; 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

The weekend project: brake pads, wheel studs & two-piece rotors.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	E6091825-3499-43B0-8DEF-E1FA491907F7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	466462

Comment

Parts have been trickling in. Now have all the suspension parts, including these trick rear control arms.
                      Thanks 034 Motorsports, for offering cool parts with ST-legal bushings!

Click image for larger version

Name:	control arms.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	466661

Also received this addition to my tool kit, which will help ensure no sharp fender edges carve grooves in the 265mm front tires.

Name:	fender roller2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	466662

Comment

1. Wheels & tires have arrived
                        2. Downpipe & tuning upgrade tomorrow at Further Performance
                        3. Wavetrac diff is being delivered tomorrow
                        4. Coilovers and control arms go on this weekend
                        5. Wavetrac will (hopefully) be installed next week
                        6. Alignment at TAG next Friday

Should be ready JUST in time for M1/M2.

Comment

Also received this addition to my tool kit, which will help ensure no sharp fender edges carve grooves in the 265mm front tires.

Name:	fender roller2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	466662
                          Any chance that'll fit a 5x130 pattern with 14mm studs? Asking for a friend...
                          The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldk View Post

Any chance that'll fit a 5x130 pattern with 14mm studs? Asking for a friend...
                            Probably. This is the new version, which has bigger slots for 14mm studs.

Comment

Working...
                            X