Recommendations for shops to broach or burn an internal spline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for shops to broach or burn an internal spline

I've got a friend who needs a shaft opened up from 27 to 30 spline (possibly 31 spline) and I was wondering if anybody has had that sort of work done locally. I think I've seen mention of people having hubs broached, but this is a blind hole, so it would be a little more complicated. Wire EDM would be out of the question, for example.
    The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

You need a plunge EDM shop. This isn't going to be an easy/cheap solution. No other way to accomplish this?
    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
    Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
    Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
    "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

There are other ways to do it, but we're just trying to looks at options. There are companies that will do blind broaching, too, I was just wondering if anybody had favorites. I did send him an eBay link to a used sinker EDM and tell him to build a bigger shop out back, but that kind of fizzled. Don't know why...

We've also toyed with the idea of fabricating something with off-the-shelf parts assuming we can find something made out of an appropriate material or getting the proper inserts and cutting it ourselves in a dividing head.
      The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Comment

Doppler Gear made some custom CV axles for the FSAE car many years ago, but they are more of a production shop, not sure if they do one off stuff often.

Comment

Originally posted by supra87t View Post
          Doppler Gear made some custom CV axles for the FSAE car many years ago, but they are more of a production shop, not sure if they do one off stuff often.
          Their site seems to imply they'll do smaller jobs, but I'll have to ask. They mention using shaping instead of another process where the setup fee wouldn't be worth it. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

I met D&D while working in Bloomington and had them do a couple of rotor machining jobs that would not fit on my lathe. They seem solid and down to earth.

https://www.facebook.com/DAndDAutoMachine/?ref=br_rs
            Jeff Forss: www.TheAlignmentGuy.com Z29Monza@gmail.com
            Owner/operator at the alignment shop that MAC built.
            Photos? Flickr: "A Sportscar Named Desire" http://www.flickr.com/photos/9272998@N05/
            SEMA Member. MSRA Member.

Comment

I can't tell if they do any EDM or shaping. The name sounds familiar, so I think I'm going to check with my buddy to see if he's checked with them already before I call them, though.

Imagine my disappointment that the school has 3 wire EDM machines and no sinkers.

Comment

Just heard from him last night. He picked up a couple other transfer cases and one of them has a different shaft with a through hole, so that one would work with wire EDM. He freely admitted he has a problem as he's collecting transfer cases at an alarming rate.

Comment

Working...
                X