new spec miata shock - penseke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ordered mine.

interesting tech bullitin on why the penske isn't shorter that much shorter: because the suspension can't actually move any farther if they made it any shorter: http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wp-c...xplanation.pdf
    2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Clears up a lot, and makes it clear that this might be an good solution for non-SM's too.

Though I have to say that this seems like a confusing statement:

The reason a raised upper mount was not developed to increase rear suspension travel is because the rear upper control arm would have metal-to-metal contact with the rear subframe. Then, the tire would begin to contact the wheel well, limiting travel gains, but more importantly, causing damage to the tire.
      So...do you get metal-to-metal contact on the control arm, or tire-to-wheel-well contact? Either one of them should be a limiting factor...so which is it?

My Penskes are out for rebuild with Guy Ankeny after four years of service. But when they come back, I'll have to compare lengths. I feel like they're shorter, but now I'm curious. I certainly don't have any metal-to-metal contact on the control arms or subframe, and I've taken fairly extreme measures to make tire-to-wheel-well interference a non-issue.

Neal
      Cone Coach - Vision Speedworks - SoloPro

"Left our cubicles in little flaming piles...I need to feel something different for just a little while." - Cloud Cult

Comment

I don't know what they're using for bushings, but could it be metal to metal followed shortly thereafter by tire to metal after bushing deflection?
        The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Working...
        X