Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new spec miata shock - penseke!

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/2018/08/14/14166/

this will be great for us spec miata racers, but also for you guys too. should match well with STS spring rates, as a good budget option for autocross/hpde stuff too.
    Last edited by emiliorescigno; 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM.
    2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

*cough* Penske *cough*

But yeah, I totally agree. They've clearly done something to keep the cost down. Looks like a little over $1000, with spherical top-hats, which is WAY less than what's on my car!

My hunch is that they've "cost-reduced" it by removing the adjustments and external reservoirs. And I'd bet it will have a steel body. But if the basic piston/valving tech is the same as their good stuff, they'll be sweet. Best part is that they will be appropriate length for coilovers, and valved appropriately for SM, neither of which apply to the OEM-length, street-valved, B6 Bilsteins. So yeah, that should make them a pretty sweet setup for STS, track car, etc.

$100 rebuilds ain't bad, either. I wonder if they'll be willing to do alternate valving for people who aren't running SM, presumably just without having the tamper-proof seal, to show that they're not legal for SM...

Neal
    Cone Coach - Vision Speedworks - SoloPro

"Left our cubicles in little flaming piles...I need to feel something different for just a little while." - Cloud Cult

Comment

non-adjustable, monotube. its not going to be a sexy 7500 or anything.

but, it will be shorter, and have valving actually suited for the 700/325 springs we run, which will be huge for us. should reduce our wheel bearing and hub casualties, and improve the life and consistency of our tires. the first set of tires or two run on these should almost pay for them alone. they need to shut up and take my money please!

and for 1000 bucks, for anyone with a miata thats allowed coilovers, what a great low cost option. maybe not ideal, but the value is certainly there. for the budget STSer, it should match really well.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Oooh. There's a Miata in my garage that already has C1M wheels, and its shocks are on the way out. I bet these would go very nicely on it. I'm very excited to hear how they perform.

Spherical bearings concern me though, as this is a street car. Would stock-style top hats keep them quiet enough for road trips?
        Last edited by JohnMoravec; 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM.
        2013 Hot Lava FR-S

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMoravec View Post
          Oooh. There's a Miata in my garage that already has C1M wheels, and its shocks are on the way out. I bet these would go very nicely on it. I'm very excited to hear how they perform.

Spherical bearings concern me though, as this is a street car. Would stock-style top hats keep them quiet enough for road trips?
          The noise floor of any Miata is so high that I wouldn't worry about them. I've never heard a peep out of my Xidas and I'm fairly sensitive/not tolerant of extra NVH.
          1990 NA6CE Turbo
          2002 E46 330i

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily assume that stock shock hats would fit these shocks, or vice-versa. Depends on whether it is a spherical end to the shock (common in non-Miata shocks), or a bayonet mount shock with top hats that have a spherical bearing in the hat (what you usually see in a Miata).

My Penskes have spherical ends on the shock, and I fabricated a custom hat. Considering they're less expensive, simpler, and more durable than bayonet mounts with a Miata-style hat, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they do. In that case, you won't be able to put a stock-style hat on there.

But in any case, no, I don't think this is a problem...unless you plan to drive it in the winter, where corrosion becomes a problem.

Neal

Attached Files
            Last edited by SUV-ETR; 08-16-2018, 10:41 AM.

"Left our cubicles in little flaming piles...I need to feel something different for just a little while." - Cloud Cult

Comment

Keep in mind that you have to order these through Mazdaspeed so make sure your membership is up to date if you are non-SMer. Considering what it looks like the initial demand will be (AKA All SM cars), I would not be terribly surprises if they restricted this to just SM racers to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam777 View Post
                Keep in mind that you have to order these through Mazdaspeed so make sure your membership is up to date
                They do sell non-OEM parts on their website without being registered as a racer, so I'd expect these to (eventually, at least) be available to anyone. The racer registration is required if you want a discount on OEM parts.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the membership and keep in mind that they may not be available for me at first.
                  2013 Hot Lava FR-S

Comment

dyno sheets are up on V2 motorsports FB page. hubba hubba

#carsnotkids

Comment

Nice! Valving still not super aggressive, but better low-speed will help a lot. And there's actually SOME compression valving. LOL.

A little disappointed to see the body/shaft pics tho. Looks like maybe only a very minor step in the right direction. Glad they moved the snap rings for the coilover sleeves a bit, at least. But really would have hoped for something a bit shorter. But that probably explains why the valving is still a bit on the soft side...bump stops will still be a critical thing.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by SUV-ETR View Post
                        Nice! Valving still not super aggressive, but better low-speed will help a lot. And there's actually SOME compression valving. LOL.

A little disappointed to see the body/shaft pics tho. Looks like maybe only a very minor step in the right direction. Glad they moved the snap rings for the coilover sleeves a bit, at least. But really would have hoped for something a bit shorter. But that probably explains why the valving is still a bit on the soft side...bump stops will still be a critical thing.

Neal
                        one of the stated goals is actually to keep us off the bump stops, as thats why we kill our tires and hubs so fast. bump stops are shorter, but much firmer than the old spec miata ones. try and punish folks for running too low, and getting into the bump stops. its all spec for us, so disregard for STS/CSP use, but thats why we will be running short and hard stops with them.

the rears are significantly shorter, the fronts are supposed to be too. huge improvement over the bilsteins, hopefully save us on tires and hubs/bearings.

gotta remember it isn't a 6 grand penske setup, its a 200 dollars a shock penske setup. if i was getting into building a miata though, id certainly look at these long before anything else in the price range! and i think these will both perform better, with a faster and more consistent race car, and save me money on tires and hubs. like a lot of money.
                        Last edited by gerglumuff; 12-03-2018, 03:41 PM.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Some people in ES were looking into these.
                          Felipe González

Comment

Originally posted by 4drcivicmaster View Post
                            Some people in ES were looking into these.
                            that seems ... aggressive. though the price is just so good, its probably worth a shot

#carsnotkids

Comment

Originally posted by gerglumuff View Post
                              the rears are significantly shorter, the fronts are supposed to be too. huge improvement over the bilsteins, hopefully save us on tires and hubs/bearings.
                              If that's true, that's awesome. But they sure don't look much/any shorter, based on those pictures. I assume the Bilstein in the comparison pics is an SM B6, not a B8. But maybe it is just an optical illusion from the camera angle?

Originally posted by gerglumuff View Post
                              gotta remember it isn't a 6 grand penske setup, its a 200 dollars a shock penske setup.
                              Oh, absolutely. But the length of the body and shaft aren't things that would change the cost any. I assume most of the cost reduction is from no reservoirs, a much simpler (and not threaded) body in steel, no adjusters, and other features.

The valve stack might be different, but the general shape of the dyno plots is very similar to my $$ shocks...which means that it might not be all that different. If the bodies are closer to a B8, it would make a pretty awesome street/autocross/HPDE option. Especially if they can be revalved! But if the bodies are the same length as a B6, well...that's IMHO a massively missed opportunity. They'd be mostly useless.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X