Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning for 2019-2020 Karting League(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for 2019-2020 Karting League(s)

Now that we have wrapped up the autox season, it is time to start thinking about kart racing. In past years we have run two karting leagues at ProKart in Burnsville. I talked to them and they are happy to run leagues for us again this year. So, let's get planning! I would love to hear what you all want. So please share your thoughts on any of the below concerns:

1. Want to run Sunday morning? Or on a weeknight? If weeknight, what night and time?

2. How many events would you like to see? 9? 10? Two separate seasons of 6 events? Something else?

3. Want to run weekly? Biweekly?

4. How soon do you want to start?

5. Should we run a two-race or three-race format?

6. What else should we think about this year?
    Jeff Rye #64
    1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
    2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
    Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

1. Weeknights for me, any day but Monday.

2. No preference.

3. Weekly is easier to remember, but I enjoyed doing it over a longer period of weeks last yr.

4. No preference

5. I liked three races, but depends on turnout. If running 3 races and multiple heats due to large numbers in league it can take time with swapping to next heat.

Eric Janssen

#320 1999 Miata & 2013 Honda Civic Si

Comment

1. I'm down for pretty much any day.
      2. As many events as possible (so sounds like 2 seasons of 6 for 12). (Though I guess that also depends on the cost of an event and I'm not sure how much they are)
      3. Weekly is nice but I know that can be a bit much for some people
      4. No real preference
      5/6. I have no prior experience so no preference.

Also I do know that some people find it difficult to make it down to Burnsville especially if it's on a weeknight and weekly basis and I've heard people suggesting Maple Grove which also has a ProKart.
      Since I don't have family or commitments I don't really care where it's at, I'll still show up, but just throwing the idea out there...

Comment

1. I can't do weeknights in Burnsville. I tried getting something going last year at Maple Grove but didn't get much response, but I'd be open to trying that again. Sunday mornings at Burnsville is my vote.

2. No preference.

3. I liked Biweekly, but I could probably do every week.

4-6 No preference.

Comment

Thanks for doing this again, Jeff!

1. Sunday is pretty much my only option, which is great because it's also my preferred option

2. I'd like to see 9-10 races again

3. Biweekly is my preference.

4. Probably early December.

5. I liked both ways, so I'll defer to people with strong feelings on it.

6. We should probably discuss minimum weight before the first event.
          The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

I'm not advocating against change, but we have been doing this for 10+ years and there are certain parts of the formula that have proven to work. Also, change scares me. Get off my lawn. Kidding-- if I felt a reason to change, I'd advocate for it.

1. Sunday morning

2. 10 events, 2 drops

3. Biweekly

4. Start ASAP

5. Three-race format

6. There are consistently conversations around starting order and makeup of heats, especially for the first half of the season. I liked however it was done last year where the staff used some program to vary the heats and starting order-- made for different people to race against, varied starting order, etc. but I can't remember if that was all season or just one part of the season.
            Brian K.
            #16 Marshmallow Miata

Comment

1. Weeknight, preferably not Monday or Wednesday

2. 10-11

3. Biweekly seems easiest to fit in my schedule, and generally seems to get a better attendance rate.

4. I've enjoyed "practice" events in November, with real stuff starting early December.

5. I liked the 3-race format last year. It's harder to see progress in the shorter event, but it's nice having breaks.

6. I'd like to see us focus on talking to new people and being polite on the track. Particularly talking to new people about being polite on the track.
              2013 Hot Lava FR-S

Comment

1. Want to run Sunday morning? Or on a weeknight? If weeknight, what night and time? - I prefer Sunday since the furthest south locaton I work is N Mpls So weeknights are tough

2. How many events would you like to see? 9? 10? Two separate seasons of 6 events? Something else? 10, with 2 drops

3. Want to run weekly? Biweekly? While I like MOAR RACING!!!! I think bi-weekly tends to work best for people including myself

4. How soon do you want to start? Weekend after next? Soon is good though. Maybe like some said, have a practice day earlier and the into the real season

5. Should we run a two-race or three-race format? I like the 3 race format

6. What else should we think about this year? The latter part of what John said. Since there is contact in this type of thing, being very clear on what is acceptable and what is not is important. People that came a few years back and did not come back have mentioend that hard contact was a big reason for it. I think this has gotten a lot better, but we need to make sure new people understand this.
                2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
                ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
                No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

1. Sunday Mornting

2. Not sure if I could commit to 10+2 drops, so I'm voting for 6 w/ 2 seasons.

3. Biweekly

4. Soon?

5. Not sure (first year)

6. N/A (first year)

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                    2. Not sure if I could commit to 10+2 drops
                    I read this as you interpreting this as 12 races, but ten with two drops means ten total races but only eight count for final points.

You can also have someone sub for you if you can’t make it. They race in your absence and whatever points they get count for your season points. You can figure out payment with your sub— I usually pay for the full season upfront and if someone subs for me, I just ask they buy me a couple drinks or maybe a six pack.
                    Brian K.
                    #16 Marshmallow Miata

Comment

1. Weeknight, 6:30 or 7:00

2. 10 week league with 2 drops

3. Biweekly

4. Start late November, end late March

5. two-race format

6. Get drops factored in early.

Comment

1. a weeknight, ideally 7 or later. Wednesdays not quite as good.

2. haven't done this before, and 6 weeks is a smaller commitment, so slight preference for that

3. biweekly

No opinion on the other questions. I've only driven a cart once 30+ years ago, so this should be interesting.

Comment

1. Want to run Sunday morning? Or on a weeknight? If weeknight, what night and time?
                          Sunday morning.

2. How many events would you like to see? 9? 10? Two separate seasons of 6 events? Something else?
                          10 or two separate seasons of 6.

3. Want to run weekly? Biweekly?
                          Bi-weekly

4. How soon do you want to start?
                          November or December

5. Should we run a two-race or three-race format?
                          I kinda liked three but I'm happy to do whatever.

6. What else should we think about this year?
                          Let's talk about you and me.
                          Ryan B. a.k.a. Doctor NASA
                          #208 when driving with Charles D'Cruz
                          2002 Audi TT 225 ALMS (Misano Red, #644) // 2003 Mazda Miata Shinsen (grey, #644) // 2004 Audi A4 Ultrasport 6MT (Dolphin Grey, #644)

Comment

Thank you for the responses! I am hearing that people pretty much like how it ran in past years, so I think we should go for something very similar -- 10 week season, running biweekly, drop 2 (and factor drops early), using the three-race format.

I am unavailable on Tuesdays and Wednesdays this winter, so if we run on either of those weeknights, I would like to ask for a volunteer to step up and coordinate the weeknight league. Tuesdays have worked well in the past, but notice that the Knotheads league runs at 7 or 7:30 and last year we repeatedly delayed them.
                            Jeff Rye #64

Comment

Actually, there is a very good chance I won't be able to run a full season on Sundays either. Is anyone willing to take on the organization of either or both of these leagues?
                              Jeff Rye #64

Comment

Working...
                              X