No announcement yet.

Karting 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you guys doing with your feet? How much do you modulate the throttle? I tend to be either braking or full on the gas at all times, but tried to experiment with rolling onto the throttle more yesterday. Especially on that first sweeper after the chicane (33 second mark in Bernie's video), is it better to go at 80% throttle there and keep it tighter or give it more throttle and let the kart push out and exit the sweeper on the outside at a higher speed? Towards the end of the race I don't think about it so much because there's enough grip to be tighter and hard on the gas, but most of the race I'm pushing out there.
    I feel the need to push hard on the gas just to hold myself in place around turns. In general I have a hard time figuring when to get onto the gas and how much, especially on the chicanes they setup on the pit-side of the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gspot View Post
      What are you guys doing with your feet? How much do you modulate the throttle? I tend to be either braking or full on the gas at all times, but tried to experiment with rolling onto the throttle more yesterday. Especially on that first sweeper after the chicane (33 second mark in Bernie's video), is it better to go at 80% throttle there and keep it tighter or give it more throttle and let the kart push out and exit the sweeper on the outside at a higher speed? Towards the end of the race I don't think about it so much because there's enough grip to be tighter and hard on the gas, but most of the race I'm pushing out there.
      I feel the need to push hard on the gas just to hold myself in place around turns. In general I have a hard time figuring when to get onto the gas and how much, especially on the chicanes they setup on the pit-side of the track.
      Iíve tried rolling pedals and Iím not sure the karts respond to it (or enough to make a difference) so, on occasion, I chop the pedals like an on-off switch.
      Brian K.
      Car Wh0re

Comment

• To confirm, there is NOT Tuesday night league tonight?

I'm so depressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gspot View Post
          What are you guys doing with your feet? How much do you modulate the throttle? I tend to be either braking or full on the gas at all times, but tried to experiment with rolling onto the throttle more yesterday. Especially on that first sweeper after the chicane (33 second mark in Bernie's video), is it better to go at 80% throttle there and keep it tighter or give it more throttle and let the kart push out and exit the sweeper on the outside at a higher speed? Towards the end of the race I don't think about it so much because there's enough grip to be tighter and hard on the gas, but most of the race I'm pushing out there.
          For the throttle, while the kart has little power, there is value in being more gradual in some circumstances. When under high cornering load, even a vehicle with little power will tend to brake loose if you shock the tires. However, it is harder to shock them loose on a low powered kart with a centrifugal clutch. I think it helps overall smoothness to practice being smooth with the application, as you can still be fast and smooth on the inputs. In the really tight section near the pits last weekend, I could tell a difference between going from braking to full throttle vs braking to gradual throttle. More so in that case because of the 2nd turn, which is easy to blow if you are too hard on the throttle too soon, at least that is how it feels for me.

For the brakes, I definitely modulate those a lot. I have traditionally been a lot more clumsy with the brake on the karts, causing lockup a lot. I have made a focused effort to get better at this in both the"real" car and the kart, and it paid off a lot last Saturday based upon my results in comparison to the faster guys that I was further behind last season. I would say the brake modulation is one of the biggest challenges/payoff areas on the karts. If you can nail that threshold braking, it pays dividends in times.
          2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
          ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
          No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

• Originally posted by kneeskrap3r View Post
            To confirm, there is NOT Tuesday night league tonight?

I'm so depressed.
            Correct. We need to wait until next week... Tuesday 11 December.
            Jeff Rye #64
            1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
            2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
            Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryejeff View Post

Before the remote kill they used to walk down the line flipping the kill switches. Many of us used to do it ourselves and start putting away our weights right away. When they got the remote kill they told us to stop doing that... so now we wait.
              oh, I'm glad to learn that! I was shutting mine off, and probably annoying the staff.

Yes, the brake on these karts will disengage the throttle, so try to keep it to one pedal at a time!

Comment

• Originally posted by engifineer View Post
                I would say the brake modulation is one of the biggest challenges/payoff areas on the karts. If you can nail that threshold braking, it pays dividends in times.
                I agree, I think braking is actually the hardest part of autocross too. (well, at least in the FMod it is)

Comment

• Originally posted by murph View Post

oh, I'm glad to learn that! I was shutting mine off, and probably annoying the staff.
                  One of the guys firing up karts for the 3rd heat was having trouble getting one started until the other guy pointed out the switch was off. I kind of get the feeling that was your kart.
                  The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Working...
                  X