No announcement yet.

Karting 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brain needs a complete re-calibration on how to drive those things.

Addicting, but man, I have no idea how to enter corners with these!

Off to YouTube...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallawallaman View Post
      My brain needs a complete re-calibration on how to drive those things.

Addicting, but man, I have no idea how to enter corners with these!

Off to YouTube...
      One of the key parts is learning smoothness since you have to conserve speed as much as possible (zero tq in the karts!). This applies very well to autox so everything you learn here will apply next season Smooth braking is one of the harder parts to learn in the karts, at least it was for me. It is very easy to over brake and end up sliding, which robs all of your speed.
      2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
      ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
      No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

• Re: Smoothness

That's a huge issue for me right now. In my car I believe my inputs are appropriately smooth (at least instructors haven't been telling me otherwise) but these silly kart things seem to have binary controls*. Learning that the seats could move was a game changer for the second qualifier!
        My average corner goes like this: Brake in roughly the correct spot, pat myself on the back on my threshold braking skills, start to slide on turn in anyway, lightly* apply gas, over rotate and lose all speed. Bleh. I got through the chicanes a few times with decent momentum, but not nearly enough.

Racing with this many high caliber drivers is bound to make me faster but I've gotta figure out the dang mechanics first.

As an aside: How do the karts shut down in the pits? I never once touched my engine and they seem to all kill at the same time.
        Brandon A.
        2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

"...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowAndo View Post
          Re: Smoothness
          As an aside: How do the karts shut down in the pits? I never once touched my engine and they seem to all kill at the same time.
          I was curious on this too. I believe the RIMO karts use De Haardt shutdown transponders. These transponders look to be wired up the the engine on/off switch (kill spark) and then also to a ground contact, from the German wiring diagrams I found. Looks like they can also wire up an optional brake switch. They can then stop the karts from the PC software, or a physical emergency stop button, as they can be assigned unique IDs and they use some RF to communicate. They also have a network port that can be connected to a sensor used to limit speed of karts in sections of a track and can also be used for pit speeds to be enforced.

This may be an indication I have too much time on my hands...I figure the karts use something along these lines if they don't use those shutdown transponders.
          Eric Janssen

#320 1999 Miata & 2013 Honda Civic Si

Comment

Re: Smoothness

My average corner goes like this: Brake in roughly the correct spot, pat myself on the back on my threshold braking skills, start to slide on turn in anyway, lightly* apply gas, over rotate and lose all speed. Bleh. I got through the chicanes a few times with decent momentum, but not nearly enough.
            Are you me???

I think they have some sort of remote kill switches on the Karts that are accessible via their control consoles. Rather cool, I am curious if it's a specific product or if it's homerigged somehow.

And holy crap, the seats move? Nice...

Comment

• Yep, lever in front of the center bar that supports the wheel. Pull it to you and you can move the seat

Yep, remote kill switches. They kill them once everyone is in the pits.

That smoothness issue is a reason that karting is so useful as a learning tool. It REALLY amplifies the need for good smooth inputs.
              2001 S2000

No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

• Originally posted by engifineer View Post
                Yep, remote kill switches. They kill them once everyone is in the pits.
                Before the remote kill they used to walk down the line flipping the kill switches. Many of us used to do it ourselves and start putting away our weights right away. When they got the remote kill they told us to stop doing that... so now we wait.
                Jeff Rye #64
                1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
                2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
                Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

• There *is* at least one kart that has a broken lever, but they've got a sticker on that one. Unless they fixed it, which they might have. When I got that one, the seat was already all the way back, which is good because I might not have been able to get out otherwise.
                  The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

• Originally posted by engifineer View Post
                    That smoothness issue is a reason that karting is so useful as a learning tool. It REALLY amplifies the need for good smooth inputs.
                    Exactly. This is why I have claimed for years that the karting league is awesome training for autox. The lack of power means that when you make a mistake, you get to sit around and think about what you just did while you wait to get back up to speed.

But also, you are surrounded by other quick drivers, so you get immediate feedback when you do things better or worse than the guy ahead of you. And when they are faster, you can watch what they do and practice emulating it.

Finally, since you get so many laps you get to keep practicing each element until you see improvement.
                    Jeff Rye #64

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallawallaman View Post
                      Are you me???
                      Kinda sorta... At least, there isn't a ton of difference between a Mirage and a 500 when it comes to chassis / handling. The fact that we are both befuddled by throttle oversteer shouldn't be too surprising.

Cool info on the transponders Eric, thanks.
                      We were speculating what caused my stall on the green light for the 20L race. The very back of the grid is very close to the pits so I figured maybe my kart got confused by the pit proximity and ~20 seconds of brake application. I'll chalk it up to bad luck if they are manually killing the karts. Do you regulars blip your throttle in grid to keep your kart "awake"?
                      Brandon A.
                      2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

"...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

• Originally posted by haroldk View Post
                        There *is* at least one kart that has a broken lever, but they've got a sticker on that one. Unless they fixed it, which they might have. When I got that one, the seat was already all the way back, which is good because I might not have been able to get out otherwise.
                        I got that one too. I was positioned further back than I like, but it's a quick kart, so I wasn't gonna switch it.

Oooh... but that's the kart I spun... so maybe I can blame the spin on something other than my driving...
                        Jeff Rye #64

Comment

• Originally posted by ryejeff View Post

Before the remote kill they used to walk down the line flipping the kill switches. Many of us used to do it ourselves and start putting away our weights right away. When they got the remote kill they told us to stop doing that... so now we wait.
                          Yeah I think it was partially a safety thing. Person pulls in,shuts off kart so they can let off the brake, stands up to get out and then the next kart pulls in and hits the back of their kart making them fall.So now we all sit and wait till the whole grid pulls in and they shut us down. Probably a better system!
                          2001 S2000

Comment

Oooh... but that's the kart I spun... so maybe I can blame the spin on something other than my driving...
                            Oh I just figured you did that so I wouldn't be the only one. So kind of you, certainly not a mistake! =D
                            Brandon A.
                            2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

Comment

We were speculating what caused my stall on the green light for the 20L race. The very back of the grid is very close to the pits so I figured maybe my kart got confused by the pit proximity and ~20 seconds of brake application. I'll chalk it up to bad luck if they are manually killing the karts. Do you regulars blip your throttle in grid to keep your kart "awake"?
                              It is pretty rare for a kart to die when you hit the gas off the start, but it definitely happens. I believe it is an interaction between the brake and throttle.

The brake cuts out the throttle entirely, so we cannot really blip the throttle at the line. With the old karts, we could and would. The new ones?

Just need to hope the idle stays high enough and it doesn't die when you come off the brake. The karts are definitely more prone to dying when they are cold (first heat on a cold morning, especially).
                              Jeff Rye #64

Comment

The brake cuts out the throttle entirely, so we cannot really blip the throttle at the line. With the old karts, we could and would. The new ones?

Just need to hope the idle stays high enough and it doesn't die when you come off the brake. The karts are definitely more prone to dying when they are cold (first heat on a cold morning, especially).
                                Ahhhh, this explains why they don't constantly harp on people not to use both inputs at once as they used to do.

The first couple laps of cold tires / concrete was pretty dang funny.

Re: Remote kill
                                I heard from an employee at the Maple Grove location that a customer once hit a wall hard enough on the outside section that they broke it and went for a joy ride in the parking lot. They had to chase them down to kill the kart. I'm sure they would have loved to have an E-Stop to smash when that happened.
                                Brandon A.
                                2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

Comment

Working...
                                X