University of Minnesota Sports Car Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Minnesota Sports Car Club

Brian McCullough sent the attached photo of the UMSCC logo from the bumper of a project car. Anyone out there care to add a story to the sticker?
    Attached Files
    "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." -Maya Angelou

UMSCC Logo

I belonged to the UMSCC for several years in the late 70's-early 80's. The logo on the bumper must be from a while before that, since the logo when I was a member was different. UMSCC ran several autocross events a year, mostly on Lot 33, but also on Lot 31, Lot 61, and other locations, as well as several road rallies each year. Meetings were in Coffman. One of the problems with keeping the club going was that the University required some of the officer positions (like President, Treasurer, etc.) to be actual students, and the turnover in student members was always a problem. Also a faculty member had to agree to serve as "Advisor" for the club. There would always be a good number of members, but many were alumni or "friends" of the U, and not able to hold some of the offices.

Comment

I was a member in the era when that logo was in use. UMSCC was the source of the phrase "The minutes were approved as lost".
      Originally posted by Don G View Post
      I belonged to the UMSCC for several years in the late 70's-early 80's. The logo on the bumper must be from a while before that, since the logo when I was a member was different. UMSCC ran several autocross events a year, mostly on Lot 33, but also on Lot 31, Lot 61, and other locations, as well as several road rallies each year. Meetings were in Coffman. One of the problems with keeping the club going was that the University required some of the officer positions (like President, Treasurer, etc.) to be actual students, and the turnover in student members was always a problem. Also a faculty member had to agree to serve as "Advisor" for the club. There would always be a good number of members, but many were alumni or "friends" of the U, and not able to hold some of the offices.
      Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
      1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
      1992 Damon diesel pusher
      2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
      2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
      2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4. Profoundly FOR SALE.
      2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
      pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
      http://www.mntriumphs.org
      sigpic

Comment

Off a BRG (British Racing Green) 1968 MGB with wire wheels.
        Auto Body Restoration and Collision Repair near Minneapolis, MN

Comment

Possibly belonged to either Cliff Anderson or Bruce Jaeger--both had green MGB's, I think with wire wheels, back in the day. Both were autocross regulars.

Comment

Possibly belonged to either Cliff Anderson or Bruce Jaeger--both had green MGB's, I think with wire wheels, back in the day. Both were autocross regulars.
            More-likely Jaeger, who was more-closely-identified with UMSCC as editor of the newsletter. Cliff Anderson was in BMC Club.
            Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
            1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
            1992 Damon diesel pusher
            2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
            2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
            2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4. Profoundly FOR SALE.
            2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
            pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
            http://www.mntriumphs.org
            sigpic

Comment

Actually, mine was red. Bruce Thompson's was green, though.

Comment

I can add a handful of unused stickers to the sticker! I also have--I don't know why--some early meeting minutes (from the 1960s--before my time). The club was kind of foundering when I discovered bluegrass and my MG wouldn't pass even the must cursory of tech inspections anymore. Autocrosses and rust had done it in.

The big UMSCC rallys back then were the Coachman and the Night in the Woods. I RM'd them both at some point, as well as the Balsam 1.

Buried on my site at Bruce@BJTechServ.com are some old articles I did for Midwest Motor Sport back in the day. I also kept copies of my years as editor of the DNF. I should PDF 'em.

Comment

Lots of memories...

Originally posted by Bruce Jaeger View Post
                  .....BJTechServ.com are some old articles I did for Midwest Motor Sport back in the day. I also kept copies of my years as editor of the DNF. I should PDF 'em.
                  I'm a little late to the party here but I was a member of the UMSCC in the late 70's and early 80's when the sticker was like the one on Bruce's Web page here: http://www.bjtechserv.com/sportscars/sportscars.htm
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	UMSCC_sticker_new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	405570
                  I believe I still have one or two on my old tool boxes. I was pretty active in autocross and rallies back in the day. I was also a member of the SCCA and did the loco Solo meets, their rallies and corners at BIR and working the Ojibwa Forests Rally. Just about every weekend in the summer was spent beating on one of my cars or watching others beat on theirs. Lots of great memories.

Sheldon Aubut

Comment

Hey Sheldon.
                    I joined 'the party' in 1992 after a 25 year hiatus....
                    Previously did a couple of events [1966-7] at the Hastings MN Kart track in my '65 MGB....
                    Been waiting for my [physical] body to git young again....
                    And my '77 'B' autox car was bent purdy bad in 2011 at the Afton Healey hill-climb......

You know the Met Council holds a annual party in early January and YOU would be welcome to attend.....

Originally posted by Sheldon Aubut View Post
                    I'm a little late to the party here but I was a member of the UMSCC in the late 70's and early 80's when the sticker was like the one on Bruce's Web page here: http://www.bjtechserv.com/sportscars/sportscars.htm
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6056[/ATTACH]
                    I believe I still have one or two on my old tool boxes. I was pretty active in autocross and rallies back in the day. I was also a member of the SCCA and did the loco Solo meets, their rallies and corners at BIR and working the Ojibwa Forests Rally. Just about every weekend in the summer was spent beating on one of my cars or watching others beat on theirs. Lots of great memories.

Sheldon Aubut
                    Amsoil Dealer in Ham Lake, MN

Comment

Working...
                    X