Changing bump stops on a ND2 Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing bump stops on a ND2 Miata

I'm going to change the front bump stops on the ND2 Miata before the test & tune.

Looking on YouTube it seems like an easy procedure, but I don't have a spring compressor.

I thought I would ask. Can someone either 1. Recommend me a spring compressor? 2. Help me change out the bump stops (I’ll pay for your time). Or 3. Recommend a shop that can do the work for reasonable cost?

Odds are you'll want an alignment afterwards. I recommend The Alignment Guy -- http://www.thealignmentguy.com/. Jeff has been doing alignments, tire mounting, and suspension stuff for MAC guys for many years. His prices are totally reasonable and he does great work.
    Jeff Rye #64
    1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
    2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
    Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Not super familiar with nd suspension, but on na and nb I never used a spring compressor with my soft spaghetti spring rates. There are tricks to do it without a spring compressor using a jack. However, whenever you don't use the right tools... You accept some risk that things will hit the fan. With springs and struts, maybe literally .. So I'm not really suggesting this route.
      ​​​​​
      Jeff does do suspension work as well and I'm sure he wouldn't be opposed to working on a newer car that isn't a rusted together mess. Last I checked he wasn't booked far out for repair type of work. Just email and wait for a response.
      Last edited by EricJ; 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM.
      Eric Janssen

#320 1999 Miata & 2013 Honda Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by EricJ View Post
        Not super familiar with nd suspension, but on na and nb I never used a spring compressor with my soft spaghetti spring rates. There are tricks to do it without a spring compressor using a jack. However, whenever you don't use the right tools... You accept some risk that things will hit the fan. With springs and struts, maybe literally .. So I'm not really suggesting this route.
        ​​​​​
        Jeff does do suspension work as well and I'm sure he wouldn't be opposed to working on a newer car that isn't a rusted together mess. Last I checked he wasn't booked far out for repair type of work. Just email and wait for a response.
        Due to standard spring compressors not fitting on our Tacoma well, I have done the fronts on it the way you mention. Most times due to control arms and the shaft being through the top mount, there is very little risk using the car/jack as the compressor. For setups with springs separate from the shock that can be a LOT more dangerous. But on a coilover type arrangement it is not bad if you pay attention to what you are doing. But yes ... all the disclaimers here

On the S2k (double a arm) I have to disconnect the upper arm to get the coilover out, but it has never affected alignment enough to require an alignment as long as I did not mess with ride height. All the adjusters are on the bottom arm and the top arm does not have much slop at all in it. Not sure on the ND though.
        2001 S2000
        Proud Recipient of the 2019 Spirit of the Sport Award

Originally posted by 86SVO
        ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".

No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Originally posted by engifineer View Post
          On the S2k (double a arm) I have to disconnect the upper arm to get the coilover out, but it has never affected alignment enough to require an alignment as long as I did not mess with ride height. All the adjusters are on the bottom arm and the top arm does not have much slop at all in it. Not sure on the ND though.
          The Miata and S2k are alike according to YouTube videos I have seen. The adjustments are to the lower A-arm and just remove the upper pivot bolt to drop the spindle enough to remove the shock/spring assembly.

Should be easy on a non-rusted suspension.

Comment

I have a spring compressor at home. You're welcome to borrow it, or if you pull the shocks and bring them over I should have time to swap them.
            John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
            Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
            Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
            Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
            "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
            "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
            To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Originally posted by the tick View Post
              I have a spring compressor at home. You're welcome to borrow it, or if you pull the shocks and bring them over I should have time to swap them.
              Thanks I sent you a PM when they arrive in the next couple of days I’ll PM you.

Comment

chances are, going down this path, your going to need to iterate on them. so i wouldnt pay someone, your just going to have to pay them again and again. buy some spring compressors and do it yourself. they are like 20 bucks.
                2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Originally posted by gerglumuff View Post
                  chances are, going down this path, your going to need to iterate on them. so i wouldnt pay someone, your just going to have to pay them again and again. buy some spring compressors and do it yourself. they are like 20 bucks.
                  Yeah it’s going to be interesting if the bump stops “fix” what I’m seeing with the inside rear wheel speed during mid corner and corner exit.

Working with Danny at RE Suspensions. The next best option is the OEM bump stop. So it’s an either or situation.

At this point I’m happy with the balance of the car; and pushing the car at DCTC was going well. So no big sway bar change at this time. The next step would be removing the rear (twig) sway bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Giencke View Post

Yeah it’s going to be interesting if the bump stops “fix” what I’m seeing with the inside rear wheel speed during mid corner and corner exit.

Working with Danny at RE Suspensions. The next best option is the OEM bump stop. So it’s an either or situation.

At this point I’m happy with the balance of the car; and pushing the car at DCTC was going well. So no big sway bar change at this time. The next step would be removing the rear (twig) sway bar.
                    If you're going to the test event Saturday, try disconnecting one of the end links on the rear bar. Taking off one is a safe/fast way to check what the change is without having to pull the whole bar. And when you can hit the same course with/without/with again to confirm your results, its a quick/easy path to some information.
                    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                    Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
                    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                    Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
                    "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
                    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	46CB63CF-9606-4481-9688-F8815D74EDFA.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	474716Click image for larger version

Name:	9852A8A0-5E1A-44C4-9A45-DAF6B621EBEB.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	474715 I’m posting this to show what I’m doing and to verify the length. LOL per the SCCA rules the little nubs on the OEM bump stop count in the overall length.

Comment

Well the bump stops went in easy. Working on a Miata suspension is so easy I’m thinking that a HPDE suspension (Multimatic DSSV) from a Global MX-5 race car is doable changing for just a weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X