Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice guys don't always finish last

Or sometime being a nice guy pays.

I was at an auto parts store yesterday picking up some parts. When I showed up there was a 2016 Ford Explorer in the lot with one of the employees with his head under the hood. When I came back out the employee was gone, but there were 2 worried looking ladies on their cell phones. I asked if they were OK. Turns out they were mother and daughter, but from South of des Moines, and had met in Maple Grove for a girls weekend. Mom was headed to Madison for work, and daughter was heading home to Iowa.

Problem was, daughters car didn't start in the morning. They got it started and got it to parts store where the employee said it was their alternator. being a Sunday it was going to be tough to get a shop to fix it, but the employee said he could take care of it, but that store didn't have one, they would have to go to XYZ store to pick it up and bring it back.

Well, it sounded like they had everything under control, but I offered that if there was any trouble, the employee couldn't get it done, or they were just a little nervous about having him do it, they could give me a call and I could help them out (so I left them with my cell number and headed off to other errands. They called 20 minutes latter.

They followed me back to my house where I planned to pull the bad alternator while they went to the other store in Mom's car. Before they left I offered to check the alternator "just to be sure". As it turns out the alternator was just fine, and what they needed was a battery. They went back tot he store and got their money back from the alternator purchase and picked up a battery while I pulled the old battery. Quick work to get the new battery hooked up and they were set to go in 20 minutes.

They offered up some money for my time, I tried to refuse saying I was just glad to help, but they insisted. A wise man told me years ago, that if someone offers to pay you, it's OK to refuse once, but if they insist, everyone feels better in the end if you take it. So in the end I accepted the money. They hopped in their cars and happily went on their way.

It wasn't until some time latter that I looked at the money they left with me. 5 crisp $20 bills. I feel guilty about it, but by now they were half way home, so some days, it pays (and quite well) to be a nice guy.
    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
    Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
    Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
    "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Awesome John, you are the hope for humanity! Why am I not surprised in the least though? Pretty bad miss-diagnosis at the store. Would have been a lot simpler if they had gotten it right.
    Jay McKoskey
    1991 Miata #12/63

Comment

Awesome story. Don't feel too bad, you likely saved them more than that just in the parts (No idea what the going rate for an alternator is) and they wanted to reimburse your time and expertise. Well done!

Originally posted by the tick View Post
      A wise man told me years ago, that if someone offers to pay you, it's OK to refuse once, but if they insist, everyone feels better in the end if you take it.
      This is the most annoying thing about Minnesota-Nice. I go by the same rule of a single refusal. I think the average Minnesotan feels the need to refuse three times before they give in. *eye roll*
      Brandon A.
      2013 Abarth 500 (#595)

"...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

Well done, John. I know you don't drink, but still...
        Jeff Rye #64
        1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
        2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
        Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Great story, the world needs more people like this

Comment

Nice to hear when nice wins And even better, the impression you made on their day. Not only did you fix the car, but we all know how it is when someone truly does something nice, just to help out. I figure that will stick with them and hopefully they pay it forward!
            2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
            ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
            No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

WOW. Good job, but I would expect nothing less from a fellow SoS'er.

Imagine what they might have left you had you kept your shirt on.
              David Parsons
              1973 914. Kinda running.
              2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
              2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
              1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
              2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
              "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Originally posted by 914 Dave View Post
                WOW. Good job, but I would expect nothing less from a fellow SoS'er.

Imagine what they might have left you had you kept your shirt on.
                I figured that just helped my tip!
                John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
                Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
                "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
                "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Hmmm... guess that could have gone either way, huh? Yup.
                  David Parsons
                  1973 914. Kinda running.
                  2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
                  2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
                  1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
                  2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
                  "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Working...
                  X