Wanted: To drive Lotus Elise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: To drive Lotus Elise

Not looking for any track driving, a general drive around to get a feeling for the car is all I seek. Background on this, I am looking to purchase something fun this summer but want to ensure this is the right fit for me and what I'm looking for. I will compensate for time and use. Recommendations where to accomplish this are appreciated.

Just offering something: I bought one sight unseen, and never having driven one. LOVED that car...no disappointments if you want a pure drivers car that is just connected in ways no other car is. If you want luxury, quiet, a soft ride, kick ass stereo, and comfy-ness....then yes, do a test drive before you buy.
    Patrick Washburn
    Lucky Lugnut / SoloPro / Red Eye Brewing
    Member of Team One Out
    Very proud recipient of the 2010 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award!!!!!
    sigpic
    "Drives like a drunken one armed crack monkey"

Comment

They are exceptionally fun on an autox course for sure. I cannot speak to driving one on the street as I have not. I know they are not fun getting in and out of for most of us And no matter how cool you look driving one, you will not look nearly as cool trying to get out of it! But one can usually live with that. But if you have back issues, are tall, etc then yes you definitely want to drive one around for a while, get in and out a number of times, etc to really know. They are pretty tiny, a bit cramped and are very much designed to be good on a track, course, etc with being comfortable a very, very distant second. That is just my input of course. You may feel completely different about them after driving one.

Are you, by chance, related to the other Berndt we have in MAC?
      2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
      ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
      No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

I am the younger brother to Kevin, assuming there is not another Berndt in MAC. I only get out to auto cross about 3 times a year.

Comment

I currently own a Lotus. Driving it on the road attracts a lot of attention and you feel every crack, pot hole, and uneven surface. I personally don't mind driving it on the road not that I do a lot of driving with it. It is great on an autocross course with its agility. Getting into and out of the car is a talent, some do it better than others, some roll out, some just plain refuse to get in, of course it is a lot easier with the top off. There is much to be said about height and girth but that has not stopped some people from autocrossing in our car, you just learn to fold yourself up.

I would offer you an opportunity to drive ours but we have not decided if we were going to fix the car this year (too much cone damage) or get a battery and let me driving it autocrossing.
          Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

Comment

I say "buy with your heart". A guy (or gal) should try what they want!

I like to think of these sort of decisions from a "cost of ownership" stand point. If you buy smart, and recover most of the purchase price when you go to sell, it doesn't really "cost" that much. It's more a matter of "putting the money somewhere", you get it back when you sell. If it turns out to be something you don't like so much, you just "recover your money" sooner than if you like it!
            John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
            Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
            Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
            Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
            "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
            "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
            To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

There is an Exige on ebay right now listed in Plymouth, maybe they are are a MAC member? Might be worth the inquery.

I also will add, hands down one of my favorite cars, driving experience is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by washburn View Post
                Just offering something: I bought one sight unseen, and never having driven one. LOVED that car...no disappointments if you want a pure drivers car that is just connected in ways no other car is. If you want luxury, quiet, a soft ride, kick ass stereo, and comfy-ness....then yes, do a test drive before you buy.
                If you want all that stuff, don't bother test driving, you are in the wrong neighborhood. This is a car for folks who drive. The only way you consider it luxury is if you are moving from a Lotus Seven or the like. They did all come with A/C in the USA, but don't let that fool you.
                Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
                1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
                2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1, Sport Red
                2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
                2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1
                2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
                pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
                http://www.mntriumphs.org

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                  There is an Exige on ebay right now listed in Plymouth, maybe they are are a MAC member? Might be worth the inquiry.

I also will add, hands down one of my favorite cars, driving experience is incredible.
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Lotus-...YAAOSw3eRc0cjZ

2007 is the first year with the supercharger.

I have no idea why this one still has an inside mirror, since the view is completely-blocked by the intercooler. Not a problem with the Elise models.
                  Last edited by phile; 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM.
                  Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
                  1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
                  2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1, Sport Red
                  2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
                  2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1
                  2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
                  pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
                  http://www.mntriumphs.org

Comment

This individual is selling.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94...ise-mn-461350/
                    sigpic

Comment

As others have noted, great drivers cars. Depending on spouse, acceptable sunnyday touring cars. $$ seem to be holding if not going up. You may get to enjoy the car for many years for the cost of consumables. Entry is by way of gravity, exit is generally not graceful. As much fun as you can have on 4 wheels with a license plate while wearing a helmet? Possibly. While I don't own one, I have driven several, and as a race car for the road, there are no disappointments.
                      David Parsons
                      1973 914. Kinda running.
                      2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
                      2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
                      1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
                      2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
                      "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

I'm still a little sad nobody got video of me getting out of Phil's car.
                        The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldk View Post
                          I'm still a little sad nobody got video of me getting out of Phil's car.
                          I can name several people who have had less than graceful exits from the lotus. I think I can do it with a dress on and be graceful but I have had LOTS of practice.
                          Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

Comment

Are you suggesting that Mrberndt wear a dress for his test drive?
                            David Parsons
                            1973 914. Kinda running.
                            2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
                            2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
                            1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
                            2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
                            "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

I would never try it in a dress ... just sayin ...
                              2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
                              ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
                              No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Working...
                              X