Want to play a game? "I can fix that!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to play a game? "I can fix that!"

At work I see a wide range of descriptions of concerns on various cars coming thru the shop for repair. I've often looked at the work order and thought- "I can fix that!" and wondered what steps the tech will take to determine the problem, and come up with the fix. And while I don't pretend to know as much as those guys, or have the training, or the tools, its still fun to exercise your brain. You can only throw so many sets of wiper blades or oil filters over the counter before you go insane and start to drool.

So how would YOU fix this? Every couple days I'll be adding a new problem to solve. Some seem to have a pretty obvious solution. But I would encourage you all to look beyond the simple solution, as we all know the easy answer isn't always the right answer when it comes to cars.

Shall we begin?

"car has battery light on. ****** (body shop) did work and replaced battery but still has warning lights. see attached email regarding their description and advise"
    David Parsons
    1973 914. Kinda running.
    2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
    2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
    1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
    2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
    "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

You could do what my daughters do, keep driving it until it becomes a larger problem that is more noticeable.

This is not a comment on women in general, just the ones in my household.
    It's the Super version, it's got 37 hp instead of 34, plus the stripe adds 1.
    If you've heard my stories before, let me know, I'll try and add some details.

Dwight Anderson

..... 1975 Fiat 128 SL ...... 1968 Fiat 850 Sedan...... 1973 Fiat 850 Spider

Comment

1. Test state of battery (I assume that was already done)
      2. Test alt output
      3. Look for bad ground
      4. Cut wire for battery light
      John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
      Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
      Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
      Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
      "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
      "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
      To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

First step before changing the battery would be checking charging system output. I would guess an alternator or voltage regulator, but if it was at a body shop I wouldn't rule out a wire cut in an accident or left disconnected after a repair.
        Last edited by haroldk; 01-08-2019, 03:36 PM.
        The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

But you work at a german car shop ... I thought the general repair practice was "replace with Japanese car"

:P I kid, I kid ...

Seriously though ...

Is this a car with the dumb system that requires some sort of reset just to replace a battery? If so, go back to my "replace with Japanese car" example ... as those systems are just ... dumb. But at a dealer that should be an easy fix. You avoid that with some long jumper wires when replacing the battery

In the harness, there is likely a wire that turns the light off on the dash (light is on unless told not to be kind of thing). If this wire is broken (usually near the connector since it is exposed there and many times near a heat source like the header) the car can charge just fine, yet have a battery light on. This actually happened on our 3rd gen 4runner. Wire was broken right by the connector (harness had come loose from its clip and was close to the header there. Wire was brittle, likely due to heat). You can buy the pigtails for most cars and just replace that whole connector.

This is assuming you have roughly 14V at the battery while running and a good battery.

Odd that this happened after a battery swap, but if the connection was bad and things were moved around under there ... could be it. You will need your manual to find the correct wire to look at.
          Last edited by engifineer; 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM.
          2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
          ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
          No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Fun game! Are you going to provide resolutions to these problems before introducing the next?

Also, are we supposed to have access to the aforementioned email description?
            "...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

The noted email is a mystery to protect the innocent. Or guilty. As for resolution, I would have no idea. Things move fast enough here that I'd never be able to keep track. The intention is to have a little fun in the off season and come up with some realistic repair trees, as well as some silly ones, and maybe learn a thing or 2 that we can use on our own cars. Besides, all this is just make believe and not inspired by real events, right?
              David Parsons
              1973 914. Kinda running.

"At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Comment

I'm a fan of John's plan.
                Ryan

Comment

Lets try another one: customer states start stop is not engaging- the off button is not on.
                  David Parsons
                  1973 914. Kinda running.

Comment

Easy, turn on the off button.... DUH!
                    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Googled: Start stop off. Now my brain hurts.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-stop-2899660/

Either don't drive in S mode, or turn the rear thermostat up, or hit the brakes harder.

It's the Super version, it's got 37 hp instead of 34, plus the stripe adds 1.
                      If you've heard my stories before, let me know, I'll try and add some details.

Dwight Anderson

..... 1975 Fiat 128 SL ...... 1968 Fiat 850 Sedan...... 1973 Fiat 850 Spider

Comment

Originally posted by the tick View Post
                        Easy, turn on the off button.... DUH!
                        But what if the off button will not go on?!?!?

I agree with Dwight- my head hurts on this one.
                        David Parsons
                        1973 914. Kinda running.

Comment

On problem #1, if it's from the VW world (which is a potload of brands), I would plug in my trusty VagCom, run a full scan, then save a copy of the results (Always always always do this). Then I'd clear all faults. Done.

Tom
                          Tom Ring
                          2010 Jetta HS 42 "Don't Panic!"
                          1985 Westy - "CAPSLO"

"It is better to go into a turn slow, and come out fast, than to go into a turn fast and come out dead."
                          Stirling Moss

Comment

Start / Stop: Scan codes and re-set the computer. If that doesn't give any clues time to light it on fire, preferably outside.
                            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by MustGoFaster View Post
                              Start / Stop: Scan codes and re-set the computer. If that doesn't give any clues time to light it on fire, preferably outside.
                              Now THAT is a plan I can get behind! I'll bring the marshmallows!
                              John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

Working...
                              X