No announcement yet.

.....and so it begins: F.R.E.coboost Miata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, how do you figure out what parts will fit from across the automotive spectrum? Are you rummaging through salvage yards or is there some master parts interchange website that I'm unaware of?
    Jay McKoskey
    1991 Miata #12/63

Comment

Originally posted by G. Jay View Post
      John, how do you figure out what parts will fit from across the automotive spectrum? Are you rummaging through salvage yards or is there some master parts interchange website that I'm unaware of?
      For the most part I'm riding on others coat tails.
      • I would have started with an NC if I had found the right deal, but I do actually like the NBs better.
      • Mike B had some MazdaSpeed parts left over from his FP build, and I picked up the aftercooler from e-bay assuming it would fit (I also picked up an aftermarket aftercooler from Lee that he didn't use).
      • The NC MIata parts fitting the EcoBoost motor is from several existing swaps I've read about.
      • The ECU info/programming/wire diagrams came from Ford Performance (after there swap kit wasn't available for sale any longer).
      • THe Mustang parts were available as an "Orientation kit" from FPP (again out of production). Knowing what I know now I would have just bought the parts I needed as I only used about half of what the kit came with, and they publish all the part numbers involved.
      • The oil pan was again something suggested as a possibility somewhere, but saw that John V had tried one on his RX8 project, so I took a chance.
      • The motor mounts were just a matter of surfing pics looking for thin/common motor mounts so I can find easy replacements, and have options for stiffer versions in the future if the mood strikes.
      • The Saturn Vue electric power steering I read about a couple years ago, the rack from the same just looked like it would be easy to adapt.
      It's been a lot of fun sourcing everything and trying to keep everything in my budget (hoping to keep the total build cost under $5000, you know FRE and all that). Looking forward to Spring makign a show so I can start stirring all these parts together....
      John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
      Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
      Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
      Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
      "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
      "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
      To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Another small update. With the nice weather I played hooky today and played in the garage instead of going to work!

The EcoBoost motor is a bit taller than the Miata motor. I'm hoping to be able to not alter the hood, so in order to make everything fit I needed to alter the front subframe (see pics in post #49). Today I made final decisions on the subframe mods and welded the reinforcements in to make it whole once again. It's a little heavier then how it started out, but I think it should be sturdy enough. I also think the motor will be low enough to be able to get the stock hood closed without a "hood scoop/power bump". I might have to alter/remove some of the cross bracing on the hood, but we'll fall off that bridge if I mis calculated.

So, that's about it for now. Next step is going to be test fitting the subframe and the motor/trans to see if I got my measurements right. That will lead to cutting into some of the sheet metal in the engine compartment to make room for the high pressure fuel line, not my favorite part, but the first alteration that I won't be able to easily undo...

Anyway, have plasma cutter, will travel!

Attached Files
        John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
        Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
        "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
        To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Originally posted by the tick View Post
          [*]...I would have started with an NC if I had found the right deal, but I do actually like the NBs better...
          It definitely would have been nice to have the improved NC rear suspension design, but I agree on liking the looks of the NB better.
          Although not FRE, there are now easier options available to improve the NB rear suspension than when we were building the EBS.
          "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by MNbiker View Post

It definitely would have been nice to have the improved NC rear suspension design, but I agree on liking the looks of the NB better.
            Although not FRE, there are now easier options available to improve the NB rear suspension than when we were building the EBS.
            I'd be curious to see links to what you're suggesting....
            John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

If you give a man a welder...
              David Parsons
              1973 914. Kinda running.
              2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
              2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
              1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
              2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
              "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Originally posted by 914 Dave View Post
                If you give a man a welder...
                As I recall, I did.
                Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
                1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
                2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1, Sport Red
                2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
                2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1
                2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
                pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
                http://www.mntriumphs.org

Comment

So, It's been a while, and while the weather has definitely improved, but my health hasn't. I've had a case of the crud for going on 4 weeks now... Cough, headache, chest congestion, you get the idea. Not idea garage motivation.

Since our last installment fine readers the bottom of the motor is buttoned up. I did go with the Ranger oil pan, and in an attempt to make that easier I picked up a Ranger oil pick up tube as well. That came close to working. I had to "massage" it a little to get everything to line up as it should, but in the end it was a good solution (didn't get any pics, and now it's all sealed and buttoned up, so you'll have to use your imagination on THAT one).

I did get the motor mount/adapters made up to use the 1968 Camaro motor mounts. Ford added 3-4 threaded bosses on each side of the motor. Not sure what those are for since this was a FWD layout, but they came in handy. I made a plate that bolts to the bosses, and welded on some studs that will accept the motor mounts (see pics below). Next step is to fab up the motor mount parts that will come off the subframe (I can do this out of the car still). I need to measure up the correct motor location (luckily I have a 1999 Miata street car for reference). I'm planning/hoping to be able to reuse the OEM driveshaft, but will still have to adapt the PPF/make trans mounts, but that's a few steps from now still. Once I get the rest of the motor mounts built up, then I'm about ready to start bolting things into the chassis!

Attached Files
                  John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

It looks like the way you have those bolted up that they're going to be in shear instead of compression; will the rubber hold up that way?
                    The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldk View Post
                      It looks like the way you have those bolted up that they're going to be in shear instead of compression; will the rubber hold up that way?
                      Good point Harold. I'be been worried about packaging... Hmm, might have to take a closer look at that....
                      John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

I bet if you flipped them to the crossmember side they'd live a long and healthy life. The bits to join them should still be fairly similar to what you were already going to do, you'd just have the solid part mounted to the block.
                        The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldk View Post
                          I bet if you flipped them to the crossmember side they'd live a long and healthy life. The bits to join them should still be fairly similar to what you were already going to do, you'd just have the solid part mounted to the block.
                          That's what I was trying to avoid by going this route, but your point is a good one, and I'll be revisiting this. There just isn't much in the way of flat surfaces, or places I can access the back side (to be able to bolt the mount to) on the subframe, so I may need to fire up the plasma cutter again.
                          John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.

Quote section;

Comment

Working...
                          X