X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next gen VW IC engines to be the last

The times be a changing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rnd=hyperdrive

Electric Porsches just won't be the same.

Tom
    Last edited by tarball; 12-05-2018, 08:28 AM.
    Tom Ring
    2010 Jetta HS 42 "Don't Panic!"
    1985 Westy - "CAPSLO"

"It is better to go into a turn slow, and come out fast, than to go into a turn fast and come out dead."
    Stirling Moss

"The times, they are a changing..."

Wake me up when Caterham makes an electric model. Everything else is a smartphone with wheels.

I am curious if there will any serious electronic aftermarket in the hardware segment, with better motors, add in capacitor banks, KERS systems etc.

I am rather afraid that due to intellectual property concerns, these newer VWs and porches will be completely locked black boxes, leading to a situation where your choices are either "stock E-GTI" or rip it all out, and start from the ground up with more flexible gear. I bet an electric Golf-R would be a torque monster though.

Comment

Jason Cammisa's take (linked below) makes sense to me. Not saying anyone here is freaking out, just thinking about the future of vehicles.

RE: Locked down cars.
      Modern cars are already pretty flipping difficult to work on without a degree in computer science. My FIAT is a pretty simple car (no infotainment) but it takes 13 (THIRTEEN!) computers to run everything. At this point if my BCM fails the car is totaled. That's wild. Mazda's Skyactiv-X is incredibly interesting to me but it's so complex and precise I would have absolutely zero desire to even do simple bolt-ons if I owned one.

The whole Telsa thing with shipping every car with the same mechanical performance and asking the customer if they would like to unlock it for an additional cost turns my stomach. That and over the air updates. Every time there is a natural disaster Mr Musk is praised for unlocking additional range on Teslas and every time I think it's completely sick to have such little control over an expensive vehicle. I guess some people are really into them tho. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq_FiEDgl8U/

(Sorry if this double posted, I suck at links and the forum got mad at me)
      "...there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy." -James May

Comment

I'm OK with this. Partly because by the time it would really affect consumers all that much, there should be a lot more infrastructure to support electric vehicles. The engine in my 944 had a production run of 39 years. If you go 39 years out from 2026 (I know, different manufacturers, but this is just spitballing anyway), you get to 2065. I will probably have had my license revoked for senility by the time they build the last of these things.

On the other side of this, the more electric vehicles there are, the more will be totalled and the sooner I can do an electric swap that's likely to be any fun.
        The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Thats going to have some career impacts for some!
          2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
          ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
          No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Originally posted by SlowAndo View Post
            The whole Telsa thing with shipping every car with the same mechanical performance and asking the customer if they would like to unlock it for an additional cost turns my stomach. That and over the air updates. Every time there is a natural disaster Mr Musk is praised for unlocking additional range on Teslas and every time I think it's completely sick to have such little control over an expensive vehicle. I guess some people are really into them tho. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
            There are perfectly good reasons for these behaviors that aren't evil.

The first bit, same performance, paid unlock, is due to the benefits of economies of scale. Tesla knows not everybody is going to (or even can) pay the premium for more performance, but they make more money on those that do. If you had to pay top price to get all the performance potential, they'd sell fewer cars. If they sold the same higher performance at the lower price, they'd lose a ton of money from the people that are currently paying the higher price. Likewise, it would cost them more to produce two actually different tiers of performance by complicating their production lines, making their inventory less flexible, and so on. So if you like that some people can get more performance, that they can move as many cars as they can and not lose a whole lot more money than they have already, then unlocked performance at additional cost is the answer that makes both work.

Unlocking range on Teslas in a disaster is at least a good marketing play, since they don't want people injured due to lack of range in their car and don't want to induce anxiety range that prevents sales. But at the same time, Lithium Ion batteries really don't like being fully discharged. Or deeply discharged. So the more charge the battery has when you recharge it, the less wear it places on the battery and the longer it will hold an acceptable charge. Tesla doubtlessly keeps some spare charge in the batteries on even its longest range models in order to keep the batteries working longer. That they can and will unlock this during a disaster, at the potential expense of degrading the battery and pushing wear to the side of needing to perform warranty service, is a good thing.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy, either. Their auto-pilot scares the crap out of me, because it's basically training people to not pay attention and then killing them when it has to hand control back over to the driver, because the driver is at best distracted. They hide behind the fact that they tell people in the manual that they have to be as alert as if they were actually driving the car, but this is both near impossible from a psychological perspective and removes any benefit of the feature, because if you have to be that alert you could just drive.
            Johnathan Gohde #311 - Borrowing #338 and the rocket ship attached to it
            Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aranach/sets

Comment

So apparently my posts are randomly being flagged as spam now
              2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
              ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
              No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Working...
              X