X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane86
    replied
    Originally posted by ryejeff View Post
    Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class..
    Uhm.. yeah. real possibility here.

Leave a comment:

• magicsammy
    replied
    no, no, no - I am sure that Blizzaks are THE tire to have - welcome aboard, Randy!

Leave a comment:

• rdub
    replied
    thanks everyone...I forgot about the "new" yokohama tire

Leave a comment:

• the tick
    replied
    Originally posted by the tick View Post
    The new Yokohana Advan A052 is available in a 185-55-14. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=ADVAN+A052

It's likely the best 14" 200 tw AX tire out there.
    Or, if you are just looking for an occasional AX fix, I actually have a set of 15 x 5.5 Mini wheels with mounted snows (Ashley's Winter wheels). I might be able to set you up with wheels and/or used tires on a rental basis.

Leave a comment:

• the tick
    replied
    The new Yokohana Advan A052 is available in a 185-55-14. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=ADVAN+A052

It's likely the best 14" 200 tw AX tire out there.

Leave a comment:

• emiliorescigno
    replied
    Originally posted by rdub View Post
    that's what I thought...thanks......I just hate buying 15X5.5 wheels to run just for fun
    (no Bridegstones or BFG's in 14inch )…...sooooo Falkens it is...195-60-14 for some extra top speed in second gear
    I think you have two good budget options (especially if it's "just for fun"!).
    1. A set of factory wheels from a base mini cooper I believe are 15x5.5" and can be found rather cheaply.
    2. Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs can be had in 185-60-14 and are very close in performance to the top-tier as well, and then you don't need to buy wheels at all!
    Last edited by emiliorescigno; 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BriK
    replied
    Originally posted by ryejeff View Post
    You are stuck running the width that was stock for your car. I am afraid that means that a '91 needs to run 5.5" wheels. IIRC, the BBS wheels from '92/'93 were 6" and from '94 on you could get 6" alloys.

Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class, I'm betting that your competitors will be fine with you running 6" wheels. Just talk to them first.
    Our replies crossed in the internet airwaves.

Since Randy is a hotshoe, and since I know a half-inch makes a decently big difference (which I tell my wife all the time), I actually wouldn't be surprised if local competitors take issue with it.

Leave a comment:

• rdub
    replied
    that's what I thought...thanks......I just hate buying 15X5.5 wheels to run just for fun
    (no Bridegstones or BFG's in 14inch )…...sooooo Falkens it is...195-60-14 for some extra top speed in second gear

Leave a comment:

• BriK
    replied
    Short answer: you're stuck with 5.5" wide wheels.

Longer answer: street class wheel dimensions are determined by factory options available on your specific car when new. Since I believe all 1.6 Miatae came with 5.5" wheels, that's what you're stuck with. If there was a certain options package that came with wider wheels, you'd have to do the full conversion to that options package-- you can't cherry-pick your favorite parts from any given package.

But, FWIW and you may recall, street class allows you to go +/- 1" in wheel diameter.

Leave a comment:

• ryejeff
    replied
    You are stuck running the width that was stock for your car. I am afraid that means that a '91 needs to run 5.5" wheels. IIRC, the BBS wheels from '92/'93 were 6" and from '94 on you could get 6" alloys.

Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class, I'm betting that your competitors will be fine with you running 6" wheels. Just talk to them first.

Leave a comment:

• rdub
    started a topic MIATA e street wheel choice

MIATA e street wheel choice

since all Miatii are on the same line in estreet….can I run a 6 inch wide wheel on my 1991 Miata......or am I stuck with 5.5 inch wide wheels
    thanks
Working...
X