MIATA e street wheel choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIATA e street wheel choice

since all Miatii are on the same line in estreet….can I run a 6 inch wide wheel on my 1991 Miata......or am I stuck with 5.5 inch wide wheels
    thanks
    2013 FRS
    2015 Fiat 500 Ribbelle
    2002 Montero Limited
    lotsa bicycles
    "Does anyone like dill flavored doughnuts?"

You are stuck running the width that was stock for your car. I am afraid that means that a '91 needs to run 5.5" wheels. IIRC, the BBS wheels from '92/'93 were 6" and from '94 on you could get 6" alloys.

Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class, I'm betting that your competitors will be fine with you running 6" wheels. Just talk to them first.
    Jeff Rye #64
    1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
    2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
    Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Short answer: you're stuck with 5.5" wide wheels.

Longer answer: street class wheel dimensions are determined by factory options available on your specific car when new. Since I believe all 1.6 Miatae came with 5.5" wheels, that's what you're stuck with. If there was a certain options package that came with wider wheels, you'd have to do the full conversion to that options package-- you can't cherry-pick your favorite parts from any given package.

But, FWIW and you may recall, street class allows you to go +/- 1" in wheel diameter.
      Brian K.
      Car Wh0re

Comment

that's what I thought...thanks......I just hate buying 15X5.5 wheels to run just for fun
        (no Bridegstones or BFG's in 14inch )…...sooooo Falkens it is...195-60-14 for some extra top speed in second gear
        2013 FRS
        2015 Fiat 500 Ribbelle
        2002 Montero Limited
        lotsa bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by ryejeff View Post
          You are stuck running the width that was stock for your car. I am afraid that means that a '91 needs to run 5.5" wheels. IIRC, the BBS wheels from '92/'93 were 6" and from '94 on you could get 6" alloys.

Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class, I'm betting that your competitors will be fine with you running 6" wheels. Just talk to them first.
          Our replies crossed in the internet airwaves.

Since Randy is a hotshoe, and since I know a half-inch makes a decently big difference (which I tell my wife all the time), I actually wouldn't be surprised if local competitors take issue with it.
          Brian K.
          Car Wh0re

Comment

Originally posted by rdub View Post
            that's what I thought...thanks......I just hate buying 15X5.5 wheels to run just for fun
            (no Bridegstones or BFG's in 14inch )…...sooooo Falkens it is...195-60-14 for some extra top speed in second gear
            I think you have two good budget options (especially if it's "just for fun"!).
            1. A set of factory wheels from a base mini cooper I believe are 15x5.5" and can be found rather cheaply.
            2. Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs can be had in 185-60-14 and are very close in performance to the top-tier as well, and then you don't need to buy wheels at all!
            Last edited by emiliorescigno; 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM.
            Emilio Rescigno - #146
            2000 S2000 - STR
            1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport - Daily

Comment

The new Yokohana Advan A052 is available in a 185-55-14. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=ADVAN+A052

It's likely the best 14" 200 tw AX tire out there.
              John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
              Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
              Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
              Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
              "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
              "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
              To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

Originally posted by the tick View Post
                The new Yokohana Advan A052 is available in a 185-55-14. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=ADVAN+A052

It's likely the best 14" 200 tw AX tire out there.
                Or, if you are just looking for an occasional AX fix, I actually have a set of 15 x 5.5 Mini wheels with mounted snows (Ashley's Winter wheels). I might be able to set you up with wheels and/or used tires on a rental basis.
                John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
                Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
                Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
                Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
                "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
                "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
                To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

thanks everyone...I forgot about the "new" yokohama tire
                  2013 FRS
                  2015 Fiat 500 Ribbelle
                  2002 Montero Limited
                  lotsa bicycles

Comment

no, no, no - I am sure that Blizzaks are THE tire to have - welcome aboard, Randy!
                    Vision Speedworks
                    SoloPro Driving School
                    The Alignment Guy

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro"

Comment

Originally posted by ryejeff View Post
                      Honestly though, unless you stomp all over the class..
                      Uhm.. yeah. real possibility here.
                      Shane D. #182
                      Sponsored by Turn in Concepts and Morries Subaru
                      "Looking over the hood of the WRX you see the massive hood scoop. It's not a distraction. It's more like the sight on an assault rifle — and all I want to do is keep pulling the trigger." -Matt Hardigree, Jalopnik.com
                      "But I don't like things that are scary and painful..." -Bender
                      "Man... I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonn'a ask where they're going and catch up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                      X