Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S5 classing and new rules?

Heya!
    Its been about 9 years since I have autocrossed. I signed up for the October 14th event and I want to make sure I am up to date on everything and not caught off guard.
    I have a 2009 Audi s5 so I believe I'm running in the B class and it's pretty much stock. It has wheels but they are the same size as stock. So BS is my class right? Is there still a street tire index?
    Also, helmet wise, what's required? Full face dot and snell approved? Will the one with my old Mac stickers be ok or have rules changed?
    Anything else I should know?

You are correct that your Audi lands in BS class.. but BS has evolved a bit.,. no longer is B-Stock, it's now B-Street.. it's mostly the same, except that all cars must use Street Tires with a UTQG Treadwear rating of 200 or higher.

When DOT slicks got kicked out, the need for street tire index went away as well, so that is no longer offered.

Helmet wise you need a Snell M2005 or newer helemet. DOT is not enough, it must be Snell rated, and the sticker inside the helmet must be intact.
    Open face and closed face are both available in Snell M ratings, so either is fine a long as it has the sticker.
    Shane D. #182
    Sponsored by Turn in Concepts and Morries Subaru
    "Looking over the hood of the WRX you see the massive hood scoop. It's not a distraction. It's more like the sight on an assault rifle and all I want to do is keep pulling the trigger." -Matt Hardigree, Jalopnik.com
    "But I don't like things that are scary and painful..." -Bender
    "Man... I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonn'a ask where they're going and catch up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Welcome back!

Note that your aftermarket wheels can be +/- 1" in diameter, but they must be the same width as the stock wheels.

As for helmets, our policy is actually a little more lenient than Shane implied. Our helmet rule comes from section 4.2 of the Met Council rules (http://met-council.org/rules/2017_Me...il_Rules.pdf):

Helmets must meet the standards specified in Section 4.3 of the current edition of the SCCA National Solo Rules.
      That section (can be found here: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules) says:

All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, M2015, M2010, M2005, K2015, K2010, K2005); SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A; ECE R22.05; FIA standards 8859-2015, 8860-2010, 8860-2004; or British spec BS6658-85 type A are acceptable.
      The SCCA page also has a label cheat sheet. Look for any of these:
      https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1477497419
      Jeff Rye #64
      1999 Mazda Miata Sport -- ES
      2001 Toyota Corolla S -- HS
      Proud recipient of the 2016 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Bring it. That V8 makes good noises.
          David Parsons
          1973 914. Kinda running.
          2000 Audi TT. 30+ mpg of fine art.
          2013 Jeep Compass. Wife's truck. Always.
          1993 Miata. Dad's to drive. Mine to maintain.
          2003 Kawasaki Ninjette 250. It followed me home.

"Fix it till it breaks. Then fix it some more." Me
          "At the end of the day, when all is said and done- more is usually said then done" My Dad.

Proud recipient of the 2011 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.

Comment

Originally posted by 914 Dave View Post
            Bring it. That V8 makes good noises.
            You bet it does! I will be there Saturday! Im nervous! It's been so long! my helmet is still good. LOL! I hope it doesn't rain. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by ali_squidz View Post

You bet it does! I will be there Saturday! Im nervous! It's been so long! my helmet is still good. LOL! I hope it doesn't rain. :-(
              rain makes it interesting ... and FUN!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkwaterdragon1 View Post

rain makes it interesting ... and FUN!!
                Looks like you are getting your wish!

Comment

Sigh, of course the day before, I am trying to ensure I have all my ducks in a row here. I think I am actually bumped out of the B-Street class because of my wheels and spacers. Can someone help me here?

My wheels are actually an 8.5" wide wheel from factory 9" wide. I did some significant spacers and wheel bolt lengthening to get them to look "right" with the fenders on the car too. I did a 10mm spacer in the front and I believe a 25mm spacer in the rear.

B-Street:
                  https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1503699276
                  13.4 WHEELS Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than 7.00 mm (0.275) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1 from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles. Wheel spacers are permitted provided the resultant combination complies with the offset requirements of this Section. On vehicles supplied with an OE wheel spacer, the wheel spacer shall be considered as a part of the wheel. Wheel studs, lug nuts, valve stems (including pressure-relief types), and/or bolt length may be changed. Wheel bolts may be replaced with studs and nuts but the number of fasteners may not be changed. Tire pressure monitoring sensors may be removed.

B-Street Prepared:
                  https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1484692558
                  15.4 WHEELS Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.4 as specified herein. A. Wheels of any diameter, width, or offset may be used. Aftermarket wheels may be modified to install OE tire pressure sensors. B. Wheel spacers are permitted. Wheel studs and knock-off wheel drive pegs may be changed in length and diameter. Wheel bolts may be replaced with studs and nuts.

Comment

I won't presume to speak for any of your BS competition, but I think it's unlikely you'll be protested for running a wheel -narrower- than stock, and it sounds like the spacers are just to get the correct track anyway.

Comment

It was only to make the wheels fit the body lines.

Comment

Went to pack up my helmet and realized the tag doesn't have the right year on it. None of them do.
                        After all this, I'm officially out. Thanks for all the help everyone. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

All of them are older than 2005? We do have loaner helmets, too.
                          The Forsche 948: Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Proud recipient of the 2015 Paul Weidner Spirit of the Sport award.

Comment

Working...
                          X