Year end rap up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year end rap up

Congrates to the winners in their respective classes. And to those who like me learned a ton through out the year. And as always thanks to everyone who makes these events happen.
    Last edited by ricksellner; 10-09-2019, 07:41 PM.

I had a lot of fun this season, and my DOTY rank is still heading in the right direction, although the decelerating rate of improvement suggests that it's a toss-up as to whether the heat death of the universe will happen before I make it into the top 20.

Comment

Getting in Gordon's Miata was a very good choice. Even though my 6th run was dirty at M9, I proved to myself that I can compete near the top (I think I would have been around 15th in overall pax time with some quick math). I was kicking myself really hard on Sunday on that last run since I basically threw away 2nd place in Z class, but I'm getting over it. I'm really excited to improve even more in the off-season with karting and iRacing and hope to come back strong in spring.

I was only able to attend 5 MOWOG events this year due to scheduling conflicts, but I'm making more time for motorsports next year, so I hope to at least make it to 7 or 8 of them (assuming we still have around 9 events).
      Miata is always the answer

Sara Tessem #707
      1990 Mazda Miata - STS
      2015 VW GTI

Comment

For a fleeting moment top 10 was in my grasp, but alas I only had 5 events to get it done.

Great season and looking forward to the next one!
        Kevin Berndt
        2018 GTI SE, Green

Comment

i keep telling myself im going to sell the car and do more road racing ... and yet every mowog im back, and smiling.

i think i figured out my mental game a bit from last year, and the gearshift required mentally between road racing and autocross. and i got better at it as the year went on. and i figured out exactly the level of "pumped up" i need to be in order to perform in autocross.

i also think i learned a valuable lesson at nationals this year (just like last year). i had hoped that with a local setup, and some experience at nationals at least felipe would be able to trophy, and maybe i'd be close. while ive know local setups and driving is different than nationals, i thought at least wed be in the ballpark. the yokos i think had something else to say about that, but, i also think i learned that if i ever want to win a national level trophy or whatever that i need to just run at the site. and setup for that site. and in 3 or 4 years, doing that, entering events down there, im sure i'd be capable of winning something nationally. im just not sure i have that level of commitment for autocross. thats a lot of time and energy, and im not sure i have that for this.

next year i wont make all the events, but i think im gonna keep the car, and go to as many as kassy'd like to. the car will be at every event though, if your interested in driving it, i might have a seat available next year.

i am pretty pleased to be in the top 10 this year. a lot of it was driving a more competitive car though i think. my peak driving didnt step up much from last year, but i do think i did more peak driving than last year, so that helps the average a lot.

id like to make a run at central division spec miata title, but i dont think i have the finances for that yet.
          Last edited by gerglumuff; 10-10-2019, 01:16 PM.
          2016 plans unknown. Have winter storage, tools and money.

#carsnotkids

Comment

Another awesomly fun season I know I have said this before plenty of times but THANK YOU to Joe for sharing his car with me this season. Such a fun time driving that thing and having "The car" for the class we are running in.

Locally, while my pro standings suffered from some pretty horrendous morning driving fiascos here and there, I believe this is my best DOTY run so far by a hefty margin (14th ... 13th but Kevin slipped past me at the end!!).

I am not the best at adjusting to a new car quickly, but really have felt more comfortable in the ND each event. Did not capitalize on the more competitive car at nats this year, but it will happen :P As Gordon mentioned, getting more time on concrete is a must to really perform there and we plan to work that in next season for sure. Hard to adjust to that after only having run Spring nats each season on concrete.

I gotta say, STR is bittersweet, especially when PAX is concerned on lower grip local events. Put down a lot of top 10 (and some top 5) raw time finishes with a 4th fastest raw time at M9, and still was 13th in PAX that day. And I expect PAX to get even tougher on STR next year with the way STR represented PAX at nationals. But it is what it is and we will just have to drive harder and faster! But on the flip side, running in a car where we are putting down those raw times is a ton of fun as well! Pretty hooked on the roadster racing!

As always, thanks a million to this club and its many members, volunteers, etc for making this happen. We cannot do it without everyone and we appreciate it very much. Very helpful and fun to race against group to put it lightly. Every event reminds me why I spend so much time doing this and the friendships and social aspect is a huge part of it. We can have site issues, weather issues, etc and still look around and see smiling faces all around us and that is what it is all about.

Also great to see some of the newer drivers stepping right up in both helping the club and going fast. Some impressive quick learning for certain.

And to touch a bit more on those stepping up. That does NOT go un-noticed. We can only give out one Spirt of the Sport award, but that does not mean there is only one person that deserves it. Seeing people hop into the timing apprentice roles, pitching in above and beyond their work assignments for the day, asking how they can become more involved and taking on important roles is awesome and holds the hope that we as a club will be around for a long time. This sport manages low cost barriers through willing volunteers doing what is needed to make it happen and that makes us all vested in the outcome. I really love that aspect of the sport and is the part so many non-autcrossers miss when they ask "why do you spend so much time for so little seat time??" We do it because we love that competition and that thrill of only having so many shots at getting it right. We like the sport enough to go out and make it happen ourselves, which is rare in the sports world I think.

Anyways.. enough of my going on and on Thanks to everyone that helps out, thanks to our club leadership, our sites and our members for making this an awesome season. Great driving this year and I hope to see everyone over the off season and at the banquet.

Dave "humbled by the group" T
            2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
            ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
            No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

+1 what Dave T. said except for the STR stuff. Off to a slow start in ES and had some great battles with Eric J, but started getting better as the year went on. So nice to drive a car that actually works.
              Vision Speedworks
              SoloPro Driving School
              The Alignment Guy

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro"

Comment

Originally posted by magicsammy View Post
                +1 what Dave T. said except for the STR stuff. Off to a slow start in ES and had some great battles with Eric J, but started getting better as the year went on. So nice to drive a car that actually works.
                You sure finished strong! The real question is...will you run open ES or run in an indexed class next year (I am unsure what I'll do...).

Great year of events, the last few went incredibly smooth in my opinion. I started off the season with strong driving and the car felt great. The last few events I was noticing the duo in the Marshmallow were getting faster and I started trying to pickup time in spots that I shouldn't to try and catch up! First full year running the Miata and 2nd year auto-crossing were great, thanks to MAC and everyone involved.

Met a fair amount of people this year compared to last, and was a great time. I look forward to next year and Karting again (I hope)!
                Eric Janssen

#320 1999 Miata & 2013 Honda Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by EricJ View Post

will you run open ES or run in an indexed class next year (I am unsure what I'll do...).
                  Not sure what the plan is. Running in PRO is like swimming in a shark tank with a porkchop around your neck and I don't have a fully-prepped car.
                  I prefer to run a regular class but it helps if there are folks to play with, you couldn't rest in ES and I liked that. Everybody had a chance, Kyle, Brent and Trevor were all in the mix. We missed Stu though - gotta get him back in the saddle. Fresh paint made him go soft .

Vision Speedworks
                  SoloPro Driving School
                  The Alignment Guy

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro"

Comment

Another great season driving the STS car. Thank you, Gordon for letting me drive such a good car. I finished 5th in DOTY so that’s exciting, but I need more practice in big, grippy sites otherwise I will never do well at Nats.

Thank you MAC for allowing these events to happen! We are super lucky to have such a great club.
                    Felipe González

Comment

As I've said before I had a fantastic time autocrossing this season. I'd been doing this for enough years that I thought I knew the gist of what the sport and this club offered, but this season proved there is more to it than the sum of the parts. Between the national events, co-driving with Dave, club meetings, instructors, and just getting to know everyone a little better I enjoyed this season MUCH more than any other.

So thanks to everyone in this club!

Comment

I had a blast at mac events this year, made all but m4 because I was up in brainerd running the car. Think I drove around 20 events this year!
                        Got my first top 10 raw time at a dry event at m9, just wish pax didn't push me back so far being ssm, oh well though because the car is a blast to drive. Was also really fun to have my buddy Greg with a similar built z right on my tail at the events we ran together, really looking forward to battling with him next season.
                        Might have to try Gordon's miata at one next year.
                        Cheers everyone! Have a wonderful off season.

-joe

Comment

Sadly, I didn't make it to any MAC events, and only did one COM event this year...

I blame my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmeroll View Post
                            I had a blast at mac events this year, made all but m4 because I was up in brainerd running the car. Think I drove around 20 events this year!
                            Got my first top 10 raw time at a dry event at m9, just wish pax didn't push me back so far being ssm, oh well though because the car is a blast to drive. Was also really fun to have my buddy Greg with a similar built z right on my tail at the events we ran together, really looking forward to battling with him next season.
                            Might have to try Gordon's miata at one next year.
                            Cheers everyone! Have a wonderful off season.

-joe
                            You certainly have been getting faster and faster! Nice driving at M9.
                            2001 S2000

Originally posted by 86SVO
                            ..... then I found a broken chuck of plastic bumper cover to use as "paper".
                            No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why. - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Thanks to the club officers, EMs and all those who help put on MAC’s events. We continue to be amongst the top clubs in the country (both in driving talent and organization) even though we are not affiliated with the SCCA.
                              Chasing (so many) better drivers is always a challenge and my primary motivation. Moving up into the second slowest class in the Civic Si this season has been a blast! It’s also been great fun instructing and watching drivers improving their skills. Congrats to all who participated this year, especially the season trophy winners, the Top Ten and Top Dog Adam B.! Wishing everyone the best. Here’s to MAC and 2020.
                              Last edited by toddfreem; 10-23-2019, 11:59 AM.
                              Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Comment

Working...
                              X