Cone Dance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cone Dance

People keep reminding me what to make sure to hit during the cone dance. Of course since I don't write it down at the time I don't remember the next cone dance. I have decided to start a post where you can put it down in writing for me and I will create a "cone dance script" to make sure the points are talked about. Here is the start of the list:

No phones or umbrellas
    No sitting
    Watch the timing lights
    3-4 wheel off
    White lines are only guide lines, not a DNF
    Where to stand safely
    Go to work assignment prepared, ie water, rain gear, hat, etc
    Radio etiquette
    Audit procedure
    Watch cones, not cars
    Cone penalties, or not
    Spinning/off course (except 3-4 wheels off)

Our next competition is in two weeks, I would appreciate any input even after the first event to add to this list. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by HeidiSMother; 04-13-2019, 08:11 PM. Reason: spell check failure
    Proud recipient of the 2013 Spirit of the Sport Award

In "cone penalties, or not", pointer cones are not. Have had early season events where it feels like there are never single cones downed at certain corners.
    Spinning is not a DNF on its own, but can be one if somebody skips a cone.
    Johnathan Gohde #311 - Borrowing #338 and the rocket ship attached to it
    Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aranach/sets

Comment

Originally posted by aranach View Post
      In "cone penalties, or not", pointer cones are not. Have had early season events where it feels like there are never single cones downed at certain corners.
      Spinning is not a DNF on its own, but can be one if somebody skips a cone.
      And as an extension to the "spinning" comment above, going off course isn't a DNF if you reenter the course where you left it.
      John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
      Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
      Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
      Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
      "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
      "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
      To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

Comment

How are we defining radio etiquette? It's been a number of years since I've worked a corner for MAC, but previously MAC predicate did not match the communication standard at regional/national events.
        Show respect, even to people who don't deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealDJ View Post
          How are we defining radio etiquette? It's been a number of years since I've worked a corner for MAC, but previously MAC predicate did not match the communication standard at regional/national events.
          Just that you need to pause before speaking, keep hand off of buttons unless using, repeat call once, that sort of thing.

Comment

Don't walk on, touch, look at, or think too hard about the skid pad at DCTC.

Set cone, get off the course, then signal your corner captain.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacP View Post
              Don't walk on, touch, look at, or think too hard about the skid pad at DCTC.

Set cone, get off the course, then signal your corner captain.
              Even though we are not calling and counting cones at the school, students should get used to using the hand signals.

Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
              1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
              2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1, Sport Red
              2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
              2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1
              2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
              pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
              http://www.mntriumphs.org

Comment

Now that we have had two events, are there anything you feel needs to be added to this list?

Comment

Originally posted by HeidiSMother View Post
                  People keep reminding me what to make sure to hit during the cone dance. Of course since I don't write it down at the time I don't remember the next cone dance. I have decided to start a post where you can put it down in writing for me and I will create a "cone dance script" to make sure the points are talked about. Here is the start of the list:

No phones or umbrellas
                  No sitting
                  Watch the timing lights
                  3-4 wheel off
                  White lines are only guide lines, not a DNF
                  Where to stand safely
                  Go to work assignment prepared, ie water, rain gear, hat, etc
                  Radio etiquette
                  Audit procedure
                  Watch cones, not cars
                  Cone penalties, or not
                  Spinning/off course (except 3-4 wheels off)

Our next competition is in two weeks, I would appreciate any input even after the first event to add to this list. Thanks for your help.
                  CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR... this includes the crap hanging from the review mirror. ; )
                  sigpic

Comment

On Sunday there was at one point a person at one of the corners wrapped up in a blanket. It was definitely cold, and there were plenty of workers to chase cones, but she just made me very uncomfortable.
                    Let's emphasize that corner workers need to be thinking about worst case scenarios and being able to dodge wheels that have come off cars or cars that lose steering linkages or whatever.
                    EVERY CAR IS GOING TO KILL YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBahl View Post

CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR... this includes the crap hanging from the review mirror. ; )
                      That is part of tech inspection. Maybe a point to add to the instructors list of things to do?

Comment

Originally posted by rschwanz View Post
                        On Sunday there was at one point a person at one of the corners wrapped up in a blanket. It was definitely cold, and there were plenty of workers to chase cones, but she just made me very uncomfortable.
                        Let's emphasize that corner workers need to be thinking about worst case scenarios and being able to dodge wheels that have come off cars or cars that lose steering linkages or whatever.
                        EVERY CAR IS GOING TO KILL YOU!
                        That does fall into the category of bring what you need with you, never imagined that I needed to say "NO BLANKETS". Amazing how people find ways to make us shake our heads.

Comment

Originally posted by HeidiSMother View Post

Just that you need to pause before speaking, keep hand off of buttons unless using, repeat call once, that sort of thing.
                          Standard call at this point:

Call from corner:
                          "Corner 2 to control, Car 999 one cone"

Acknowledgment call form control:
                          "Corner 2 car 999 one cone" - I mess up the order frequently when calling back due to entering the info in the timing system, so it may also be "car 999 one cone corner 2"

Assuming all things go right we have a call and a confirmation the call was received. With this format two radio calls get the job done. Most common issue, is that people do not delay talking long enough after they push the button. In this case the word "corner" gets cut off but the important part of the message still makes it thru.

Backstory:
                          At one point early in my auto-X days (2009-ish) the procedure was 4 calls. "1 to control" "Go ahead 1" "car 999 one cone" "car 999 1 cone corner 1". A longer process, increasing the chance somebody is going to hit the button at the same time and nobody hears anything.

At worst the 2 call system turn into 4. "corner####loud exhaust pointed at the trailer" "Repeat the last call" "Corner 2 to control, Car 999 one cone" "Corner 2 car 999 one cone"

Ryan

Comment

Even road-race workers don't call Stations "corners" anymore. It makes even less sense at autocrosses. Just saying...

Station Three. Car nine one four. One cone. (NOT NINE-FOURTEEN)

Station Two. Car four zero six. Re-run. (NOT FOUR-OH-SIX)

Station Four Car three four zero. Dee en eff. (NOT THREE-FORTY)

Phil Ethier - Numbers Czar Emeritus
                            1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
                            2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1, Sport Red
                            2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
                            2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1
                            2017 Ford Fusion SE, Oxford White, as befits an appliance.
                            pethier7 [at] gmail [dot] com
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
                            http://www.mntriumphs.org

Comment

I think the arm motion we instruct people to use to stop a car on course is too subtle and I think a driver missed it on Sunday and we nearly had an incident because of it.

If you want a car to stop on course you need to find a way to get the drivers attention without putting yourself in harms way. The arm motion should be waving your arms over your head like you're doing a jumping jack.
                              Last edited by ada///M; 05-01-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X